Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #1

Hello community

Hey there i'm new as you can tell hello all. I'm planning on getting a scooter in the next few months. I have tons of questions I think more specifically I'm looking at the 150cc Chinese gy6 scooters. Compared to my local dealerships its like $1600 for just a 50cc and around $2500 on up for the 150cc+ which I believe is a ripoff I've looked online and see you can actually buy a gy6 type for around $900 or so but I believe you have to assembly it as its not put together. How hard is it to put together what tools do you need, I'm pretty handy but no mechanic skill level. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos on the basics mostly what you should do first seems to be to change fuel vacuum lines add inline fuel shutoff etc.. The oil not sure if its shipped with actual oil in it or shipping oil and what kind of gear oil do you use

How hard is it to title register at the DMV a rough estimated of how much that costs and do you need a motorcycle license not so sure on that part.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Many threads on this site about assembling a China scooter.
You must also change a lot of the fluids (they are stored and shipped with fluids that are designed for preservation, rather than performance. )
I haven't heard of registration problems in Kansas for China scoots. Just save all the paperwork that arrives with the scooter and request your MCO as soon as you uncrate it.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #3

you can do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddarlington36 View Post
Hey there i'm new as you can tell hello all. I'm planning on getting a scooter in the next few months. I have tons of questions I think more specifically I'm looking at the 150cc Chinese gy6 scooters. Compared to my local dealerships its like $1600 for just a 50cc and around $2500 on up for the 150cc+ which I believe is a ripoff I've looked online and see you can actually buy a gy6 type for around $900 or so but I believe you have to assembly it as its not put together. How hard is it to put together what tools do you need, I'm pretty handy but no mechanic skill level. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos on the basics mostly what you should do first seems to be to change fuel vacuum lines add inline fuel shutoff etc.. The oil not sure if its shipped with actual oil in it or shipping oil and what kind of gear oil do you use

How hard is it to title register at the DMV a rough estimated of how much that costs and do you need a motorcycle license not so sure on that part.
Its not that hard to put together. You will need a few Metric and US Standard wrenches and sockets.
As for the Fluids you will have to change the fluid in the "transmission" and in the "engine", If I remember right I used the suggested 10w-40w motor Oil.
As for Vacuum lines you may have to change. I did replace on line between the carb and the intake manifold but that was my choice. I have two between the carb and intake butt that was my choice because I did not like the way the hose looked when it was under vacuum.
Also will caution on the Valves on a GY6, they do go out of adjustment and your machine may not start. But if I can adjust them well you can too.
Mine needed adjustment only after 174 miles. It takes 45 minutes to adjust the first time and even less with experience.
Don't freak if you scooter just quits most of the time you will see it is just a valve adjustment and also always run at least 90 octane gas. 87 has too much ethanol in it and it will eat your fuel lines or the diaphragm in the carb.
As for the DMV issue I took my paperwork that came with the machine and all went thru just fine.
Only thing I have read on folks having trouble registering the machine out in California because of their emission laws.
Best Regards,
Bonehead

Old 04-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips especially the fuel octane had no idea of that one. Valve adjustments OK 2 valves seems like there not a whole lot of Leigh way on the valves do you know the recommended valve guidelines or is it more of tweak and trail.

How often did you change oil/gear during the break in period 100/300/600/1000 I was told to do it in these mileages to keep the engine free of debris during the first 1000 miles after you can go a little longer between changes. Almost forgot also is it a good idea to NOT use synthetic oil until after 1k to make sure the engine seals are bonded? (I've always used synthetic oil in my car but this is a lot different)

Engine break-in presedure my rough take on it is don't let the rpm over 6.5-7k during the first 100 miles break it in slow and don't abuse it. First start let it idle a good 15 mins before taking the first ride . and just be kind on the throttle get use to everything but don't treat it as if its a street bike like high revs early..
Old 04-10-2017, 07:10 AM   #5

Sounds as if you are doing your homework, and realize what you are about to buy. Good for you. Frequent oil changes during break-in are a good idea. I did mine just as you stated above....then went to 600 mile intervals...then after 5,000 miles increased to 750. Have never used a drop of synthetic, don't see the advantage of it over a good conventional diesel oil.....but that's just a personal choice.

Valve lash will need to be adjusted when new.....did mine a few times from 0 to 2500 miles, but since then they have held at .003" intake, and .005" exhaust, for over 9000 miles. I check them once a year now.

Just remember it is a scooter, not a motorcycle, not a highway cruiser....and it will do it's intend job very well, for a long time, if ridden correctly, and properly maintained.

Almost forgot......Welcome to the forum.....and good luck with your purchase.