Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 3-Wheeled Scooters

Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

2010 Magnum (Archive)

Posting this from my archives. Hope this information helps those that need it.

Nice steel cages.

Removing cages

Bottom of the steel cage has 8 "U" pieces welded to the bottom steel to keep the cage from shifting off the pallet. This also makes impossible for 2 people to slide the cage and trike off the pallet. We took 2 floor jacks front and rear to raise the cage up and slide the pallet out from under the cage. Next we took 2 4x4s and placed under the differential and removed the rear jack.

Next we took a torch and cut the rear section off from the cage. This allows room to mount the tires. Removed the 4x4s and was able to roll the trike off the remaining frame.

The trikes were very well packed and protected. The only problem was that one of the side bars of a crate came loose and caused damage to one rear deck.

Linhai 300cc Water Cooled Motor

Notice that the rear brake calipers are on the bottom of the rotors not on the side as I would suspect.

Wanted to reshow this picture, take a close look at the diff and the reverse mechanism. There is quite a throw from forward to reverse, not like the 150cc at all.
I have taken a few more pictures that did not turn out so I will retake them next week.

PDI.

The trike is shipped pretty close to being assembled, but not as some say it is on their websites. Rear Calipers, Rear Wheels, Rear Fender assembly, Windshield, Mirrors and Battery must be installed. Plug wire was also off and taped to the side rail.

All fluids were changed, I was not impressed at the China "stinky" oil. 10W40 valvoline oil used and valvoline 80/90 in the diff.

Preliminary check of all hoses and wiring to make sure nothing was hanging or loose.

Added Premium gas and was impressed on how fast it fired up and ran. Very small vibration at an idle, but I also felt the idle is too low. There was 2.7 miles already on the odometer. Full digital dash, pictures to follow.

Have not installed the rear deck yet, as we just finished repairing it and still needs to be rubbed out.

Now for a quick jaunt around the block. Reverse locks in very nice no noises. Released reverse and forward was right there, no jerks or noises. Impressed with this. Initial pull from a dead stop feels more than adequate, don't want to push it yet.

Now here is where the first problem comes in. There is a bad left to right to left shimmy in the front wheel that starts to subside above 35. There is not up and down movement. Brought it back to the shop, felt no play in the triple tree, and no play in the front wheel bearings. Place a traffic cone in front of the tire, with the tire off the ground and rotated, tread roll is true. Also used the cone to check for bent wheel or side wall warpage and there isn't any. Next step will be to remove the front tire and check the bearing and find somewhere to have it balanced. I really can't think of anything else that would cause it.

With the exception of the above so far I am very impressed. Found nothing loose, bent or distorted yet. I am disappointed with the shimmy! Hopefully it is a balance problem.

Both MCOs arrived by US Mail this morning, and were sent automatically, nothing required on my part.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Guest_2; 11-01-2013 at 12:31 PM.