Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 11-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

Rear tires....does cost matter?

A few years ago when I owned my Burgman 400 I bought Pirelli Diablo tires because they were highly recommended by nearly everyone on the site.

Now I ride a Kymco Xciting 500 and I need a rear tire. I was going to by a Diablo but the cost is about $100 and it's more money then I want to spend right now.

I can by a Shinko for half that. The question is should I?

Most of my driving is highway commuting (55 - 70 MPH/80 - 120 kmh ) in weather that will range for the mid 80's to the low 40's (25 - 7 C).

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #2

Hi
I use Pirellis on all of my motorbikes
Tires are how you and the motorbike interact with the road surface and the only thing between you and it so I always go with the best imho tires that I can
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank
Old 11-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
Hi
I use Pirellis on all of my motorbikes
Tires are how you and the motorbike interact with the road surface and the only thing between you and it so I always go with the best imho tires that I can
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank
I've replaced the rear tire on my Kymco twice now. The first time was due to my picking up a nail (happens). The 2nd time is just wear. I used the moderately priced Dunlops the last time. I don't see much difference in performance between them and the Pirellis's I used to use.

I guess the better question is....what do most of us use? why?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to techie610
My favorite tire is a Michelin.
That said though, you get what you pay for.

On a side note, if one has a crappy tire, it doesn't matter how great the bike is, its not worth riding. And the same goes for cars as well. A good tire is as important as clean spark plug.
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

2003 Vento Zip R3i TurboCam
50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Check out the new group for the Mountain Area!
http://www.scootdawg.net/group.php?groupid=4
Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #5

it's funny, because my ATM50's stock doughnut tiress have 5,5k km on them (just under 4k miles), and the front tire is looking like new new, even still has the rubber little thingies on!
The rear looks like it got 1/3rd to 1/4th of wear on it.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #6

Shinko is a pretty decent brand but I do have to warn you most of the Shinko's I've bought were sport oriented which means really short tire life. They do grip quite well though.

The Shinko SR568R is what I'm seeing and on Motorcycle Superstore and gets excellent reviews. I've used Shinko's on my sport bikes and on my small scooters before. One of the best budget brands out there.

On scooters though probably like my experience with big bikes and scooters is you get decent grip like the expensive tires, it just doesn't last as long. Reading the review you get a little more than half the life as on a Metzeler Feelfree. So being the Feelfree costs about twice as much but gets almost twice the life, then you have to factor in cost of installation and downtime and the Metzeler might actually be the better option.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #7

I bought the Shinko do to money being a little tight right now. I agree that the tire did get excellent reviews.

I think however that I made a mistake. For me it's a matter of tread life. I need a tire that will do more than 4K, which seems to be the average life of the Shinko. I will do 4K by the end of the year.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #8

If you want longer thread life then you have to give up grip, you need harder rubber tires for longer thread life.
Lefty

Three Wheels keep me up
You’ll never be old and wise if you weren’t young and crazy
Old 11-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
If you want longer thread life then you have to give up grip, you need harder rubber tires for longer thread life.
Lefty
See this is why I like forums like this. I have a question , I get answers.

I use my bike nearly everyday for my commute. It's a combination of stop-n-go and highway. I will ride in "cold" weather and rain (riding in Florida we can get into the low 30's).

When I owned my Burgman the Pirelli Diabo's worked wonderfully. I'm trying to find the tire that will work best for me on the Kymco.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #10

Just be careful do not get tires that are to hard they will not hold making turns and or stopping when wet it will go down, Get something in between.
Lefty

Three Wheels keep me up
You’ll never be old and wise if you weren’t young and crazy
Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
I've replaced the rear tire on my Kymco twice now. The first time was due to my picking up a nail (happens). The 2nd time is just wear. I used the moderately priced Dunlops the last time. I don't see much difference in performance between them and the Pirellis's I used to use.

I guess the better question is....what do most of us use? why?
Don't mean to start too much trouble , but your bike sounds like a candidate for a 165/65R14 Sunny SN828 ($34.58) or Federal SS-675 ($43.70) car tire available from tires-easy.com

A Federal SS-675 145/70R12 tire was on my Honda Reflex for 35,000 miles before being changed. (and still could have gone a couple thousand miles more) $23 and change for the tire and $7 for shipping. I just couldn't go wrong on a tire that lasted 6X longer than the standard scooter tire.

For some, this is a controversial subject; some swear by it while others will just swear AT it. Get informed about both sides of the subject (pro - con) if you decide to consider it. It is something you might want to check into IMO.

Car tires do last far, far longer than scooter tires. I made a car tire pro-con list for another member and could send it if you'd like.

To be fair, I am biased in favor of the "Dark side". (using a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle/scooter) But fair enough (IMO) to admit some things that could honestly be considered negatives.

Originator of using a car tire on the Honda Reflex scooter since June 6, 2008
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #12

Beings as most of your riding is freeway at 120, a car tire may not be a bad idea
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #13

It all depends on what you value. My Adly TB 50 came with 130/70-12 Duro tires with a deep aggressive tread. 7,000 miles and barely any wear on the front...with slight wear on the rear. They are speed rated at 90mph..but I rarely go over 50.. While they look awesome and aggressive..the compound is very hard and during light rain they will easily loose traction in corners and while braking. A hard compound will last MUCH longer than a soft compound.. But I replaced them with Kenda 413 which are softer but do wear faster.. cause I find it more convenient and pleasant to replace tires than body parts. I would prefer the Pirelli's but like you..money tends to be an issue. From what I have read..the Kendas wear faster than the more costly Pirelli's..so in the end I will probably end up paying the same due to faster wear. But at least that way it does not cost me $110.00 per tire all at once.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #14

I've gone to the "dark side" since the new year. 145SR12 Yokomama on the rear of my Reflex. Ridden in rain cold and severe windy conditions. Just across the state from you in Orlando. It's an easy way to get a final drive gear change and better fuel economy.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #15

my one scooter has 10 000km on its rear duro tyre and still looks decent. I had to change the front one at 8000 km so personal experience with the Duro tyres has been good and they cheep equivalent to about $50 us fitted and all.