Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Banned

Crying Eliminating the Kickstart

can i drive a scooter without a kickstart??, i hardly ever use it...i was taking off the cvt cover just to check which drive belt model i had and my kick start got out of alignment so i was thinking of just taking it off. My gasket also came apart so now i gotta buy a new gasket

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
can i drive a scooter without a kickstart??, i hardly ever use it...i was taking off the cvt cover just to check which drive belt model i had and my kick start got out of alignment so i was thinking of just taking it off. My gasket also came apart so now i gotta buy a new gasket
You can..but why? One day when your Battery is dead..you are gonna wish you had it. Getting it realigned is simple. You take the cover off..lift up on the Idle Gear..rotate the the kicker shaft an inch or two and realign the gears. In regards to needing a new cover gasket. I don't think I know anyone on any of these Scooter forums that replaces them when they tear etc. The CVT area is not fluid filled and does not even need a gasket. Anyway..pull the cover..tinker with your kicker gear and idle gear to align them..it's lots easier than you think..and having a kick start as a back up..sure beats the hell outta walking home..or worse yet pushing the Scoot home when a dead battery occurs..
Glenn
Old 02-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #3

Hi
Glenn is 100 % correct and i would follow his advice
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Old 02-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasdad View Post
You can..but why? One day when your Battery is dead..you are gonna wish you had it. <snip>
you are right, forget about the gasket, im gonna be putting back the kick start soon and i found out what belt model my scoot has its a: bando 835 20 30, it was in good condition also, messed up my kickstart for being curious
Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #5

Ya I don't have a kick starter on mine. I used to use mine quite abit but it broke so I removed it. There is no real benifit to it gone. I found a new on for around 40$ I am thinking about getting a new one.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
you are right, forget about the gasket, im gonna be putting back the kick start soon and i found out what belt model my scoot has its a: bando 835 20 30, it was in good condition also, messed up my kickstart for being curious
Untrue my friend..you have messed up nothing. You have just learned how your Scooter works. Anything learned is not a loss...anything not learned IS a loss.. So take that Chippewa proverb..and know you did well..
Glenn..AKA.. Yayiima benatigee
Old 02-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #7

So True and the fact you checked your belt, say's alot.

With a 50 cc scoot it's a bad day if a belt breaks, with a bigger scoot puchin or calling a friend with a pick-up truck to get you back is a REALLY BAD DAY!

--------------------------
2009 Jonway 50 4t
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #8

With a 50 cc scoot it's a bad day if a belt breaks, with a bigger scoot puchin or calling a friend with a pick-up truck to get you back is a REALLY BAD DAY!

--------------------------
2009 Jonway 50 4t
Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Untrue my friend..you have messed up nothing. You have just learned how your Scooter works. Anything learned is not a loss...anything not learned IS a loss.. So take that Chippewa proverb..and know you did well..
Glenn..AKA.. Yayiima benatigee
thanks glenn, you the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrball View Post

thanks, just trying to be preventive
Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #10

The one item I really dont like about my BR is not having a kick start. I'd love to add one, as I know one day, I'll turn that key and silence will greet me 200 miles from home.
My 150 I never use the key, 1 kick and she's running.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #11

I took mine off and did not need it, but really, I should have left in on just in case.

Custom shortly muffler
hi flo air filter
minor weight reduction
removed unnecessary hoses
larger Pirelli rear tire
1 Rockstar sticker.(adds HP)

59 mph GPS verified
Old 03-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #12

I use my kick start to rotate the engine to TDC when adjusting the valves.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #13

The problem people have with kick starters is that if they battery goes low or the scoot won't crank after a few minutes...they use the kicker as a "STOMP" Starter.. If it won't fire up cranking it..it won't fire up by stomping it either.. Even Yamaha..Honda and other Japanese made bikes..will shear the kicker off if stomped on to hard and too often.. They are a BACKUP means of starting...not a primary means.. But even if they were a primary means..folks would continue to jump 3-4 feet up in the air..before coming down on the kick lever to start it... These are 50-150cc bikes..not 1,200cc 1963 Harley Davidsons..
Glenn
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #14
Banned

Quote:
The problem people have with kick starters is that if they battery goes low or the scoot won't crank after a few minutes...they use the kicker as a "STOMP" Starter.. If it won't fire up cranking it..it won't fire up by stomping it either.. Even Yamaha..Honda and other Japanese made bikes..will shear the kicker off if stomped on to hard and too often.. They are a BACKUP means of starting...not a primary means.. But even if they were a primary means..folks would continue to jump 3-4 feet up in the air..before coming down on the kick lever to start it... These are 50-150cc bikes..not 1,200cc 1963 Harley Davidsons..
Glenn
hey glen, whats the correct way to kick start a scoot, i dont know if mine cameout from when i took off the cvt cover or it came undone before that when i started it one day with the kick start?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #15

To kick start it you have to find the compression stroke. To do this put your foot on the kick starter and somewhat lightly push down until it becomes harder. Then release to the top of the kick postion and stomp down. How hard varies on the motor and how much compression it has. These scoots don't require very much. But if you were to step on someone's foot it would still hurt