Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 05-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #1

Adjusted Valves now scooter bogs?

I adjusted my valves today, intake .003 exhaust .005 and now the scooter bogs terribly at full throttle or over 15mph. The exhaust valve was extremely loose before i did anything, and was making a lot of noise. i have since tried both on .003 and both at .006 to no avail. Any ideas?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

What prompted the valve adjustment? Was there an issue? Was it okay before you did the adjustment?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeler View Post
What prompted the valve adjustment? Was there an issue? Was it okay before you did the adjustment?

Last year it died (bad magneto verified a week ago by a swap) and i did a whole bunch of trouble shooting, and like a naive 19y.o. changed the valves without feeler gauges. So it sat for almost a year, then i replaced the magneto and got it running again but the valves were making more noise than the motor itself. So i got some feeler gauges and adjusted them, theyre quite now but scooter bogs a lot and before the exhaust had been really loose like .3" instead of .005", i think the intake was around .007" before i messed with it today. Could this be a carb problem instad of valves?

Old 05-08-2014, 04:12 AM   #4

Sounds like your main jet in the carb is dirty.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #5

i adjusted mine to .05mm or .002 inches and it runs great. I know there is a wide debate about what to adjust your valve clearance to. But if the only adjustment you made was the valves and it's bogging down.. try it a little tighter and see if you get better results.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Sounds like your main jet in the carb is dirty.
Took carb apart(was a sealed one so a lot of fun there lol) Scooter now goes faster but still is bogging. I replaced plug with NGK c7hsa still no change. On the carb the slide is half way down and never moves, could this be a problem since it never opens up all the way?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #7

Yes that is a problem. You may wish to check the diaphragm. It might have a pinhole in it. Also make sure there are no vacuum leaks as these carbs are vacuum operated.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes that is a problem. You may wish to check the diaphragm. It might have a pinhole in it. Also make sure there are no vacuum leaks as these carbs are vacuum operated.
Checked diaphragm when i had it apart there were no holes. I am going to go check for vacuum leaks. Also, i have adjusted both valves to .003" and it runs fine all the way on the stand but bogs on road, and is burning a lot of gas smells rich. I have adjusted pilot to where it runs right on the stand, and the drain line is off for the bowl, and i disconnected the enricher with the needle all the way down to shut off extra gas

Last edited by hkpotts44; 05-08-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: for more info
Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
There are no vacuum leaks on it.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #10

Certainly running way to rich. Valves should be ok at .003". Sometimes these carbs get so irritating its better to get a new one. They aren't that expensive. But if you don't want to get one you will have to find out why your getting to much gas. Could be the float needle leaking? Float out of adjustment? The slide not rising up is a concern as well. Just some ideas.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Certainly running way to rich. Valves should be ok at .003". Sometimes these carbs get so irritating its better to get a new one. They aren't that expensive. But if you don't want to get one you will have to find out why your getting to much gas. Could be the float needle leaking? Float out of adjustment? The slide not rising up is a concern as well. Just some ideas.
I ordered this carb last night.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290770841182...84.m1497.l2649

I just want to make sure this is a fuel related problem and there is no other variables to consider. In my quest to put this bugger back up to par.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #12

It sounds to me it is fuel problem. A new carb should do the trick. I hope so. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
It sounds to me it is fuel problem. A new carb should do the trick. I hope so. Good luck.
Thanks! after the new carb comes in I'll let everyone know if that was the problem

Tags
50cc, problems, scooter, valve adjustment