Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #1

Question Air box oddity Jonway 50cc

Examining my new scoot, I found that the air box intake was taped off, reducing the air flow by 1/2...I removed the tape and the performance tanked.

I contacted the previous owner and he didn't tape it off. So either the dealer did that or the factory. Anyone else seen this? Seems an odd way to control the air/fuel mixture!

Seems to me that a re-jet is in order. am I wrong?

Thanx

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

You need to rejet. I'm thinking the previous owner wasn't the first owner of the bike or is lying. Factories don't tape off intakes. Dealers likely not unless the original owner removed the 4 hole cap and snorkel from the intake thinking they were "uncorking" the power and then found it ran like crap. Then returned to the dealer pretending they don't know what happened and the dealer just put that bandaid on to save time and hassle.

Some people end up using the tape method to find if they need to rejet their carbs but it shouldn't be relied on as the actual method for setting the air fuel ratio. You need to rejet or buy the 4 hole cap and airbox snorkel.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #3

+1

2010 Cpi Oliver 70cc, naruku trans kit, downhill handle bars, tecnigas rsll pipe, s6 4g rollers, Vento R4 with 90cc 1e52qmf technigas next r 100cc pipe Naruku, 21mm race carb, s6 4.5 g rollers

Login or Register to Remove Ads