Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Banned

Oh No Look what i found?

Hi
ok so i got my NCY cdi today by mail and i was putting it on and i noticed something, there is suppose to be 6 pins but my scoot only had 5 pins? is this right, the new cdi has 6 pins? i still went ahead and put it on and tried out the scoot and i do notice a big difference in the power and my RPM did go up by 500 RPM before it would idle on 1500 RPM but now it idles at 2000...did i get sold a scoot with a missing cdi pin??, i have a 157QMJ and the cdi details said it would fit my scoot.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
Hi
ok so i got my NCY cdi today by mail and i was putting it on and i noticed something, there is suppose to be 6 pins but my scoot only had 5 pins? is this right, the new cdi has 6 pins? i still went ahead and put it on and tried out the scoot and i do notice a big difference in the power and my RPM did go up by 500 RPM before it would idle on 1500 RPM but now it idles at 2000...did i get sold a scoot with a missing cdi pin??, i have a 157QMJ and the cdi details said it would fit my scoot.

No that is correct..you have a 6 plug connector..but 5 pins.. The other is sometimes used as an extra ground or a rev limiter/speed limiter. Great to hear it runs better.
Glenn
Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasdad View Post
No that is correct..you have a 6 plug connector..but 5 pins.. The other is sometimes used as an extra ground or a rev limiter/speed limiter. Great to hear it runs better.
Glenn
hey glenn, your very knowledgeable,

Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #4

Quote:
hey glenn, your very knowledgeable,
Thank you.. Not a Mechanic by trade..actually I am retired Military with 21 years service. I was a Fleet marine Force Corpsman (Combat Medic) Then as a civilian I went on to become a Paramedic...Cardiac Tech and Nursing. Grew up VERY poor on a farm and we could not afford to pay to get our equipment fixed..so starting about age 8..well..I worked on Tractors..Lawn Mowers...Hay Balers...Bull Dozers..Grain Combines.. Then neighbors Motorcycles and Snowmobiles for spending money. I no longer do anything in the Medical Field..I just have a small Scooter parts/repair shop. Cause I find that being my own Boss..well it's more fun that way..
Glenn
Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #5

That's good if you plug in a CDI and get a higher idle it usually means the original CDI was overly retarded. I know on my scooters that I've owned when I've plugged in "performance" CDI's the idle would drop and I'd not only lose power but the scooter would run hotter especially at higher speeds. That's the telltale sign of too much timing advance.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydude View Post
That's the telltale sign of too much timing advance.
explain this ^^^
Old 03-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #7

Quote:
I am retired Military with 21 years service.
Glen, Thanks for your service and keeping us safe.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #8

Quote:
explain this ^^^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing
Old 03-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydude View Post
That's good if you plug in a CDI and get a higher idle it usually means the original CDI was overly retarded. I know on my scooters that I've owned when I've plugged in "performance" CDI's the idle would drop and I'd not only lose power but the scooter would run hotter especially at higher speeds. That's the telltale sign of too much timing advance.
Bingo Sir!..and same here..advance was so high at start/idle..it would wanna kick back and not start very easy at all. With one I thought my compression was causing detonation..but on a whim swapped back my stock CDI..and the problem went away. But still I have yet to find a performance CDI that actually had 'advanced timing'..just fixed timed ones..
Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #10

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing]
Great artical, thanks for sharing it.