Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

Doh! The result of me leaving my scooter to sit for four months

After replacing every electrical component on my scooter it started working again then fall came and i left it sitting for around 5 months, now im trying to get it started again but it will not it just clicks and maybe once it will try to start but it mostly just clicks. Ive learned what to trouble shoot from when i was replacing all those parts 5 months ago, I,m getting no spark and the clicking is coming from the starter solenoid which is was one of the parts ive replaced I remember when It first started running again it would do the same clicking and after trying to start it a couple times it would try to start and then start up again my guess is its the solenoid but its only a 5 month old part could the clicking coming from it be the result of me leaving it in the garage for so long?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #2

Did you have a battery tender on it? Five months will drain a battery, especially in the cold.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #3

Try a 2 amp or less trickle charger. You should be fine. Wifes bike had the battery go flat from sitting. A over night 2 amp charge brought it back to life.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

I charged the battery but i could charge it again just to make sure it has much charge as possible and see if that works

Last edited by Killjoi97; 01-20-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #5

What I'd do... charge the battery, check the voltage on both sides of the starter relay when trying to start it. Check the voltage at the starter connection. You need full battery current to the starter this includes the grounding system to the starter. Use a wiring diagram and a multimeter to find the problem. Never has it been so easy to learn to fix things as it is now. The internet, Youtube and forums like this, it's all at your fingertips.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Did you have a battery tender on it? Five months will drain a battery, especially in the cold.
That's exactly what I was thinking altho (after owning two shops , it's hard to diagnose troubles without running cks.) It's just a guess but my ride will click if the battery is to low! Irish
Old 01-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #7

I tested the connection with a multimeter with the black wite touching the red and the red to the starter vise versa and im getting readings between 13 and 14 a video saw suggested I try starting it while these are connected to test the current but since the bike wont even try to start just click i cant do that part
Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #8

A picture is worth a thousand words, a youtube must be worth a million... here ya go.. if this one doesn't do it there are plenty more....
Old 01-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #9

Seems that one was about ignition problem... look for a video about starter system wiring. Here's a better one, it's for a motorcycle but it applies to scooters....
Old 02-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #10

Charge up the battery, try again to start it. Have a can of starter fluid to give it a "whiff" in the air box to help get past the stale gas in the carb. I keep a float charger on both of our bikes thru the long winter and try to fire them up and if its warm enough that day, take a short ride around the neighborhood. Helps keep the spring wake up call problems to a minimum. Mike the Aspie
Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #11

You probably need a new battery

Last winter I did an experiment. Not really on purpose, mostly just by being lazy and dumb. I had 3 motorcycles in my garage and I didn't trickle charge the batteries on any of them. I had to buy 3 new batteries in the spring.

Not charging your battery does more than make it not charged. It's probably bad.

If you charge your battery, you may get a good voltage reading from it with a multimeter, but as soon as you crank the engine, I bet it drops way down. You should try that - crank it with the voltmeter connected. If it drops way below 10V, you have a bad battery.

If you bought a new battery and need to fill it with acid, make sure you follow the instructions. You have to wait a bit, then charge it for a long time. I have a video about that here:

Tags
no spark, repair, starter issue