Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #1

replace small scooter battery with car battery??

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this, or know of anyone that has done this. The reason I'm wanting to put a car battery in mine is because I have a charging issue that I cannot for the life of me figure out. So, I charge the battery to full and ride until it either cuts off on me, or when I think it's about to I go home. No disrespect, but I'd rather not talk about fixing the problem or anything on this thread. I just wanna know if anyone has done it, could it screw up anything, things of that nature. I have plenty of room under my seat, and already have a way to mount it securely. Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-11-2017, 03:32 AM   #2

12 volts is 12 volts.

Be sure to only use one battery at a time. Good luck with the proper fix, whenever you get around to it.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

I went on a ride awhile back and this guy had a car battery under his seat. One difference, he was running a FULL car audio system and alarm! Never did demo it though.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #4

In my opinion , you would be much better off using a Battery Tender! Irish
Old 06-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #5

I'm thinking of mounting a small solar panel on either my trunk lid or dash by the windshield. Mine will not be for battery charging like most people but for a small computer fan for my under seat trunk. I gets HOT in there, and in the summer thats were I toss my phone when riding (wear shorts with open pockets). Keep some air circulating while riding and parked.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

I've thought about a riding lawnmower battery, but if everything is up to snuff on a scooter the scooter size battery and charging system is supposed to be enough to keep you going. The lawnmower batteries are only 20 bucks when on sale but you wouldn't want to tip one over, like you don't have enough problems with a scooter on it's side?, same for a car battery. Maybe a glass mat battery if you go with a car battery?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #7

Battery Remark

The battery minder recommended by Irish is a brilliant solution. A solar tender would suit your plan well providing power for the fan as well as keeping the battery charged. Cheap too. Park in the sun.

I have a 12v portable battery jumper which is quite small but very powerful. It could be hooked up as you suggest or simply used to jump start the scooter if that is your only complaint.

Does the scooter keep running after the battery is dead? If so you could just add some terminals to attach the alligator clamps of the jump device. That would also indicate that there is nothing wrong with your charging system. Sorry, I know you didn't want to here it.

Last edited by Ozo; 06-12-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozo View Post
The battery minder recommended by Irish is a brilliant solution. A solar tender would suit your plan well providing power for the fan as well as keeping the battery charged. Cheap too. Park in the sun.

I have a 12v portable battery jumper which is quite small but very powerful. It could be hooked up as you suggest or simply used to jump start the scooter if that is your only complaint.

Does the scooter keep running after the battery is dead? If so you could just add some terminals to attach the alligator clamps of the jump device. That would also indicate that there is nothing wrong with your charging system. Sorry, I know you didn't want to here it.
A solar charger sounds like a great idea. I'll probably save up and get one while I try to pinpoint what the charging problem is. I went ahead and installed the car battery. Here's where I'm wondering if I'll have a problem: I don't know how many amps is needed to turn the starter over, and I don't know if the 800 cca of the car battery can damage anything when cranking it. To answer your question, when the battery dies, the scooter cuts off. I've tested the stator and the regulator rectifier, and they both seem to be working as they should when tested separately. All of the testing techniques I learned from Youtube/researching forums but I want to start from the beginning testing everything and get you guys input, but I'm not quite ready to start taking it apart again just yet because I love riding it, even if it's just for a hour or so, that's why I was gonna save it for another thread when I'm prepared to not be able to ride it for a few days.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
In my opinion , you would be much better off using a Battery Tender! Irish
I'm not sure I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a battery tender used to maintain the charge on your battery when you're NOT riding it? If so, you may have misunderstood the issue I'm having. The charging system in my scooter doesn't work (but I can't pinpoint what has failed). So I can only ride until the battery dies (I've figured out how many miles I can go on a full charge). So my hope is that I can ride longer on a bigger battery than a normal scooter battery.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #10

Not being mean or sarcastic, but with all the You Tube video's on testing stator's and the break-down on Scrappy Dogs website on what type of charging system your scooter will have, why are you not trying to fix it? Is there a scooter club in your area to help if you cant figure it out or get stuck? Even our rag tag scooter club will help each other out if needed, and we still do build parties at my house when the time comes. Trust me-I HATE working on scooters but I do so because I've learned how to over time and it can be fun sometimes I guess..... O.k., HATE is to strong-dislike is more like it!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
Not being mean or sarcastic, but with all the You Tube video's on testing stator's and the break-down on Scrappy Dogs website on what type of charging system your scooter will have, why are you not trying to fix it? Is there a scooter club in your area to help if you cant figure it out or get stuck? Even our rag tag scooter club will help each other out if needed, and we still do build parties at my house when the time comes. Trust me-I HATE working on scooters but I do so because I've learned how to over time and it can be fun sometimes I guess..... O.k., HATE is to strong-dislike is more like it!
I agree with the -Why are you not trying to fix it. You can't just start your bike separately every time. That sounds like a non-riders way out. What are you going to do if the bike stalls away from home? I hope that you like pushing! Pardon what sounds like sarcasm but I have been riding since 15 & I'm 73 now & I would have done ALOT of pushing if things were not fixed! I probably wouldn't be riding! Irish
Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #12

Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a battery tender used to maintain the charge on your battery when you're NOT riding it? If so, you may have misunderstood the issue I'm having. The charging system in my scooter doesn't work (but I can't pinpoint what has failed). So I can only ride until the battery dies (I've figured out how many miles I can go on a full charge). So my hope is that I can ride longer on a bigger battery than a normal scooter battery.
If your headlight is on all the time it will drain the battery faster so you should disconnect it and refrain from running at night of course. Also refrain from using the electric start but remember kick starters are designed for emergency use so are kinda flimsy so their use should be limited.

Yes the tender is a charger and you would have to wait hours for a charge if your battery dies while out riding. Better to have a spare battery.

Repair your charging system soon, do not put it off. Just friendly advise.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #13

I had charging issues with my 150cc, TaoTao.
It turned out to be the Regulator/Rectifier being wired incorrectly.
With a full charge, I would get a while of use, before the brake lights, tail lights, and starting would take it's toll. Recharge, start over.
I checked the stator and replaced the R/R. with no change. My suspicion was no charging voltage, verified at the battery with bike running.
I made short jumpers and moved the connections around until I had charge V, and bright lights (another problem that I really hadn't noticed).
Since then, I never had a charge issue again for 1.5 years; just sold the bike, still good.
I know you didn't want to hear solutions, but this was monumental to me.
Reply or PM if you'd like more info.