Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 06-13-2014, 12:52 AM   #1

Piaggio sfera (zip) wont start

Hy i bought piaggio sfera (same frame and engine as Zip) that was sitting in the basement for 5 years, i drive it for about 0,5km than i cleaned carb with air compressor and checked if oil pump is working -its working! I Put new fuel and oil in it!
I took it on a test ride and it was running well, but the engine was kind off hot i think!
Engine looked wery bad so i took it off and cleaned it with wire brush, than i putted it back together and rev it on the stand, turned it off and rev it again and turn it off normaly! Next day i wanted to start it, it started and died in about 3 seconds... now it wont start :S

I got spark, fuel and compression (piston is new, cylinder is not that bad)!

I have 19mm carb 72 jet and malossi MHR air filter on it!

I know that carb and jet are too big but can this be the problem if scooter was working with same setup all the time before? Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #2

Hy thats what i found out today...
If i put the fuel directly into the intake manyfold with carb off scooter will start and run for about 5 to 10 seconds, but as soon as i put the carb back to intake manyfold scooter will die immediately... i cleaned the carb again and there was no difriendse... I tried to restrict the air flow and also without air filter, but the was no difriendse... Is it posible that because the carb is 19mm so its runing rich i think, scooter wont start when colder outside, but will start when warmer ? thanks
Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Try adjusting your mixture screw, 1.5 turns out is usually a good starting point. 72 jet sounds too small for a carb that big, my Zuma in its stock 50cc config had an 80 jet.

After sitting for 5 years the fuel hoses and tank may have debris in them which is repeatedly clogging your carb. You may have to flush and/or replace all the lines.

2005 Yamaha BWS (Zuma) "Garfield"
TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Try adjusting your mixture screw, 1.5 turns out is usually a good starting point. 72 jet sounds too small for a carb that big, my Zuma in its stock 50cc config had an 80 jet.

After sitting for 5 years the fuel hoses and tank may have debris in them which is repeatedly clogging your carb. You may have to flush and/or replace all the lines.
Hy, thanks for your anwser, can air mixture screw be that affective that scooter wont start if not set right? I also have 4 stroke scooter and i can ajdust this screw however i want and scoot will still start.

About the fuel hoses... today i will try to make a gas tank from a bottle and also use new hose... and if scooter will work i will clean gas tankk and repleace the lines This might be the case because yesterday when i cleaned the carb i managed to get scooter running for a little time, but when i putted a little of gas scooter just bogged down and didnt start again :S

Thanks
Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padly1995 View Post
Hy, thanks for your anwser, can air mixture screw be that affective that scooter wont start if not set right? I also have 4 stroke scooter and i can ajdust this screw however i want and scoot will still start.

About the fuel hoses... today i will try to make a gas tank from a bottle and also use new hose... and if scooter will work i will clean gas tankk and repleace the lines This might be the case because yesterday when i cleaned the carb i managed to get scooter running for a little time, but when i putted a little of gas scooter just bogged down and didnt start again :S

Thanks
Today i cleaned carb again and scooter started working Im just wondering what kind of screws are holding te cilynder? Because i broke one and i need to buy new ones :S thanks