Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 3-Wheeled Scooters

Old 01-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #1

...A general info question

Does the fact of three wheels in place of two affect the performance, either acceleration or top speed, of a 50cc scooter? How about a 150cc?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

There are a couple of 150cc trike conversions on Kymco forum. Not much in technical info tho.
As I remember the owners were not mechanically inclined so the extent of the threads were more of a review, and links to the companies that did the conversions.

To directly answer your question, yes... Gearing has to be raised to gain back acceleration. That as you can guess does take a few MPH off the top end.

Another option to consider would be a sidecar rig. These are a much less invasive conversion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82942c7dae5c579c8e4c901452ab14e5.jpg (40.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg f7c6e5365ec2194b55c794cd4d3d56ee.jpg (48.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgunner View Post
Does the fact of three wheels in place of two affect the performance, either acceleration or top speed, of a 50cc scooter? How about a 150cc?
That's hard for me to say because I have a 1200 eng but I have a DMC conversion. You can find their website by typing DMC on your computer. I don't know if they have anything for your bike but I can tell you that it's a very nice setup. As far as acceleration , mine has plenty! Irish

Old 01-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
That's hard for me to say because I have a 1200 eng but I have a DMC conversion. You can find their website by typing DMC on your computer. I don't know if they have anything for your bike but I can tell you that it's a very nice setup. As far as acceleration , mine has plenty! Irish
So. Get yourself 24, QMB139's. Hook them up in tandem or just in a giant pile, and you'll make out as well as Irish.

I just can't stop myself...
Old 01-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

If I had to potentially deal with snowy and icy roads during my winter commute, I would definitely consider a trike. A reverse trike offers two front braking wheels and it will not slip out from under you.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #6

I was considering using a stripped trike such as a Viking, for a hunting rig. With it, I could travel decent trails for half the year...while packing a rifle case and some gear.
Are those kits where they place two extra wheels on the back, outward of the drive wheel any good, either on or off the road? Do they have some suspension to allow for surface irregularities?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgunner View Post
I was considering using a stripped trike such as a Viking, for a hunting rig. With it, I could travel decent trails for half the year...while packing a rifle case and some gear.
Are those kits where they place two extra wheels on the back, outward of the drive wheel any good, either on or off the road? Do they have some suspension to allow for surface irregularities?
The kit on mine uses the shocks that are originally on the bike. The kit just bolts onto the original bike. Just don't do like I did (1st Trike) & out of habit , try to lean in the 1st curve! Yes! You can use them off road. Irish
Old 01-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #8

Keep your feet ON THE PEGS no matter what you feel.

What Irish is saying about the "lean" is completely counter intuitive as to motorcycle/bicycle riding.
Think about this... When you were a child (in the stoner age) a tricycle. You turn the bars left, and went left.
Bikes steer right to go left. (I'll prove that in a second).
So the natural action of us bike riders is to steer left to turn left? WRONG!!! You will wind up in the trees!

Personally I will not ride a trike because I will hurt myself. I don't want to un-learn what I believe I learned in 40 or so years of two wheeling.

Here's a link that proves out what I mean (meen?)

I realize you won't be drifting corners. It's more about slow trail riding.
Remember when you rode a tricycle as a kid, and that will make you a trike rider.
I barely remember breakfast so I don't ride trikes.

One other thing... Don't put your foot on the ground. You'll run it over.

Edit:
I mean NO disrespect to Irish or any advice he offers here. What I do mean is that trikes are completely, and wholly different than bikes.I also understand that most everyone that reads this thread may be aware of what I posted BUT I simply wanted to post the other side of this coin.
Respect!!!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #9

So, you wouldn't recommend a fellow have both a bike and trike at the same time? That is the two rear wheels type trike..
Old 01-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #10

No dude. Not at all.

My opinion on the subject is that "I" can not ride a trike. My brothers can, and do still ride those Honda trikes that were banned.
I have tried to ride them but they are counter intuitive to what I feel in my body. I tried to ride them fast, and slow but I always wound up hitting what I was trying to avoid.

Like my brothers, and Irish can attest.... there is a market for trikes of all sorts. I am just not in that demographic. (i wish I knew a smiley for failure)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad-grade-smiley.jpg (15.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #11

Although it isn't what you'd call a trike, and it's engine displaces a bit more than 150cc....I do have a three wheel vehicle that I totally enjoy. They are a 'horse of a different color', and must be ridden/driven more conservatively. Because of the added weight, and wind resistance, their performance will always be less than a 2 wheeler with the same power plant.

At 69 years old, I'm not ready to give up my 2 motorcycles, or my scooter, but, if I live long enough, the day will come, when I'm physically unable to handle the BMW's. Then the 3 wheeler will become my eveyday ride.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #12

Piaggio MP3 is a tilting 3 wheeler (2F1R) that rides like a conventional 2 wheeled bike. When going slow, it can be locked to stay upright without putting your feet down... So, no feet down when going slow or stopped at lights. Once moving above a certain speed, it automatically unlocks and can tilt normally again. From reports/reviews, it has really good stopping qualities with those 2 wheels up front.
Make no mistake though, it can be tipped over when riding.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #13

Piaggio MP3

10k for a woods bike OR 300.00 for a woods bike... Hmmmm?
I like the tennis balls better. They have a much fuzzier texture than Pepsi.

Just my opinion. (I get free tennis balls for life from that commercial)

Anyone need some tennis balls?
Old 05-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #14

DP is correct! A lot of old habits die hard. For example , I burned my leg badly by forgetting that you don't have to put your feet down! I'm Diabetic & I burned right thru my pants , socks , etc & never felt it because of my Neuropothy. Luckily (?) I'm a disabled Vet & they did 5 skin grafts at NO cost to me (checking civilian cost , that would have cost $7000 apiece.) Even swap (?) Fine if you want to be a junk yard & carry shrapnel in your hip forever! Irish