Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #1

Your preferred method of transportation?

Are scooters your preferred method of transportation? I'm assuming so if you belong to a scooter board, but why do you prefer scooters over anything else?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #2

Hi
I love any 2 wheeled or in some cases 3 wheeled motor vehicles
Heres my stable minus a few new motorbikes I've gotten recently and haven't had time to add to the album
http://www.scootdawg.net/album.php?albumid=9
Take care and ride safely
Yours hank
Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

My scooter is definitely my prefered method of transport, esepcially to work.

My commute is about 6 miles on a very congested road with many stoplights, in MA, restricted scooters (under 30mph) can use the bike lane legally. Which saves lots of time.

If I take public transportation, it's about an hour.

If I commute at rush hour, the buses are jam packed and it's disgusting. Lots of smelly people and for some reason bus drivers keep the heat on 90. I drive a bus, not a public one, so I hate T buses.

Parking permits where I work are about $900/yr. for daytime parking. Motorcycles are about $250, and restricted scooters don't have plates, just stickers. Free parking.

I ride in almost any weather. Wednesday it's supposed to snow so I might drive my truck. It will take about 45 minutes, but there's free parking when it's snowing because they can't see your permit. : )

Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #4

I much prefer riding my scooter over my truck for commuting. My scooter is perfectly suited for for my route to work. If I had a long freeway ride to get to my job, I would likely get a KLR 650 or a Burgman 400 for more speed and fuel capacity.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 02-04-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #5

Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I much prefer riding my scooter over my truck for commuting. My scooter is perfectly suited for for my route to work. If I had a long freeway ride to get to my job, I would likely get a KLR 650 or a Burgman 400 for more speed and fuel capacity.
I feel that way too. I have a 500 which works perfectly for the route I have to take all the time. I try to mix up my route now and again to keep it interesting as well.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #6

Sometimes my 250cc scooter, sometimes my Yamaha fj1200. Most days I'm not sure until I actually go out the door. I have a van that I've put maybe 350 miles on in the last two years, mostly for camping at the lake.. Really don't like having all that glass and metal around me, nor the fuel cost to just take myself and a small bag to work and back.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Yup. Cheap fuel, cheap parking, cheap insurance, and fun!

Insurance and underground parking at work for my scooter for the month is actually a few $ cheaper than a monthly bus pass. Why the heck would you tie yourself to the bus when you can go anywhere you want in the city anytime you want and in most places get free or deeply discounted parking!

Plus the car then gets used only on the weekends and trips, which makes the car insurance cheaper, and less maintenance, gas, etc etc.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #8

I use my scooter for all short treks. If I'm going to be going on longer rides, an hour or more, I ride my Harley. Of course, when the family goes along I have to take the car. Although, I have thought about adding a couple side cars to the Harley. My wife's not crazy about that idea though.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #9

My scooter is my preferred method but right now it is for recreational use only. I am commuting three hours a day to attend university. My scooter is used constantly in all kinds of weather for days when I have no work or school.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #10

Since I've had my scooters, I've not had to pay for the emissions test here in PA, as I dont put enough miles on my truck now.

I did give up all my short cuts getting here and there since the scooters came along.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #11

I work from home so no commute, my scoot, Goldwing, VW Bus, Avalons, Mustang and GMC are all toys.
Can't wait for spring so I can get the scoot uncovered, polished and on the road