Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 08-09-2014, 03:40 AM   #1

I'll go with the same caveats about helmets, & the MSF course.
Chinese Scoots: Cheap, but you get what you pay for. Review all the maintenance, & repair sections & see how much of that is devoted to these. If you can turn a wrench you'll do fine. I really don't recommend them if you can't.

Noting "Caveat Emport" on all scoots, especially used & that you should test ride them.
The scoots that bump to mind are:
Suzuki Burgman 400 2007+ on these for easier maintenance. Really sounds like a good choice for this.
Yamaha Majesty, there's a cut year on those too, but I don't know it off the top of my head. Pretty similar to the burger, but a bit higher seat, & not quite as well regarded.
Piaggio BV350. Pretty much new only around here. I test rode one, got it up to 55 no issues, & 'nuff throttle left to know it'd cruise the freeway. Big wheels, nicely thought out & finished. It's a bit high in the seat, but it's on my short list of scoots I may buy soon.

----Big Heavy Highway Scoots, really think twice before getting one- Lower MPG, fast (100 mph+) and heavy.
Honda Silverwing - widely available used. A bit heavy. Handles freeway no issues.
Suzuki Burgman 650. Serious overkill, & heavy. It'd do it no questions asked, just check the burgmanusa forums for it's quirks. Make sure it's 2006+ (late 05's OK, but early ones are not)

Taiwanese scoots - If you have a local dealer these are great, & well priced
Kymco:
Kymco 500 - If you have a good dealer in the area. There are some used ones.
Kymco GT 300I, & Downtown 300i. Haven't ridden either yet but on my list..
Kymco Myroad 700I - Big Heavy, fast, & expensive. Frankly I'd just get the Burgman 650 if you want something this big.

SYM - Same as Kymco. Make sure you have a local dealer. Good scoots
HD200 - A bit marginal for freeway IMHO. tops about 70, but water cooled. I've made long runs on mine no issues, & I'm a mite heavier than your daughter I suspect.
Citycom 300I. A bit more oomph, & reviews state it's a reasonable freeway machine on a budget. I haven't ridden one, but it's on the list of the ones I plan to try soonish.

Justgottascoot.com has some good reviews for most of these.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

This thread started four months ago. Does anybody know how this turned out or did the daughter just buy a Chevy Spark or a Prius?

BTW, my 55 year old School Teacher of a wife rides a Honda Rebel. Bulletproof, 68 mpg and easily interstate compatible.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.