Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 09-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Charging system and idle issue

This is my first post, and I'm about ready to set this bike on fire.

I'll try to sum this up but with as much detail as possible.
I bought a Chinese ruckus clone (maddog icebear) with the gy6 150cc. After a week the battery wouldn't stay charged, after a new rectifier and battery the problem is fixed.
(Every time I mention battery I'm not talking lead acid, it's a $125 Lithium. So they hold a high charge and charge very easily.)
So my bike is golden. Then my wife wanted one so we buy one knowing that it has a charging issue which we were told is was the stator, no big deal.
Now after two new stators, multiple rectifiers and cdi's it won't charge the battery above 12.5 at any rpms. (Mine sits at 13.2-13.9 while running.

So I've put her cdi. Rectifier. And brand new stator on my bike and they all worked perfect. Put it on hers and no charging. I said screw it to the stock wire harness and ran my own green, yellow, white wires directly from the stator to the rectifier. I've tried my flywheel along with hers and another none of which work on hers but do on mine.

I've disconnected every electronic on hers that isno necessary to start and run to see if something was draining power, but to no avail.

On a side note hers does not like to start easily, whether it's cold or hot. Once it begins to fire the idle is uneven with random pops and back fires. And it won't stay idling unless you keep the rpms around 3k for 2 minutes so it can warm up. And then it's still sputtery.

So here's my plan of action.
..put her battery in my bike to see if by any chance she got a bad Lithium battery.
..check her valves lash and make sure it's set to .004 and .005.
..check her timing to make sure her TDC and valves are in time.
..after all that with no success I'm going to swap in a brand new gy6 motor. I don't see how the motor could be messing with charging but with my luck....

Also my stator is different looking than any stator I've had in hers. My yellow, white and green all connect to a copper strand coming off of the poles. Her green wire does not.
But with that said her non connected green wire stator worked just fine on my bike with multiple rectifiers.

Any guru input would be greatly appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads