Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 05-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

Last thing. What is this, and should any hose bee attached to the front of it as well

Help? My scooter keeps cutting off after riding for a bit, and I wonder if this could be the culprit. The battery will die also and I can't even start it. I never fully charged the battery when I first got the scooter. I charged it full last night, and will give it another go today to see if that may have been the issue.

Please chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black canister thing.jpg (84.3 KB, 5 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #2

Wow...a brand new scooter and problems already?

You need to do a PDI on this machine. One can be found in the "General Scooter Discussion" section, of this forum. There is another thread in that same section titled "Adjust Your Valves".....read this one too.

The canister in your photo, is part of the emissions system. I doubt very much that it has anything to do with the problems you are experiencing now. Over time this system will have components plug up, or develop vacuum leaks, that give you fits. Some people remove the whole system.....Not going to tell you to do that, but.....I'm pretty sure my scooter has no canisters on it......think I saw one or more in my parts bin though.

Read, read, read,.....watch some how to videos on gy6 procedures, get your hands dirty, learn what makes your scooter tick.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:29 AM   #3

Yes that is a fuel evaporation canister. Hooks up to the fuel tank and to an evap purge control valve and eventually makes its way via small hose to air box or to the carb. Part of emissions control if the bike is equipped with that. But some apparently don't and some may have been removed by owners. One nipple on the canister is to ambient open air and the other nipple is a drain. If there were any hoses, they would be just short pieces sticking out that hooked up to nothing. As rks said, it is not likely the cause of your problem.

From your description, it seems more likely an electrical problem or need for valve adjustment. Could be fuel related; fuel pump problem or tank not venting causing vacuum that holds back fuel. Dying battery could indicate a charging system problem. If it is not charging properly, the engine electrical may be running solely off the battery. When there is not enough "juice" left in the battery, the engine will die for lack of electric to be able to fire the spark plug. Or there may be an errant grounding happening somewhere that might be running the battery down.

You've got some diagnosing work to do to isolate the problems then solve them. Approach it methodically to help avoid wild goose chases.
Start with the simple and likely causes. See if it will continue running if the fuel cap is loose to ensure that the tank is venting. If it runs well with it loose, but eventually dies with it closed, then you'll know it is not venting properly. If it dies no matter what, then it is likely not a venting problem. It differs for different bikes so I don't know what the procedure for your bike is to check for proper fuel pump operation issues. After sorting out any fuel delivery issues, you could start checking on the electrical since that may be an additional contributing problem. Will the battery take an hold a charge? Yes- then there still may be a problem with the bike's charging system. No? then it may have a bad battery. You may need a multi meter to help determine electrical issues.

That is just a start. I'm pretty sure there are trouble shooting tips gathered somewhere here. There are those here that may be better able to direct you. But my point is to go about it methodically; that should save you lots of grief and wasted time. And it is also a reminder too, if and when making changes of whatever type to your bike that they should be only one at a time. That way if any thing starts screwing up, then you know you'll probably only need to check the last thing you fidgeted with. Changing too many things without making sure they behave as they should can mislead you with symptoms that may appear to be coming from something else.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by bandito2; 05-04-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Thanks for all of the info guys. This weekend I will be in deep diagnosis mode. I love mys scooter and need to find the fix so I can enjoy it like it want!

You guys are awesome. Oh, I also added a performance CDI, Coil and Spark plug, did valve adjustment, but the battery died again yesterday. I truly believe the battery is shot. I didn't charge if fully when I first got the scooter and rode like crazy the first day with no problems. The next day is when it started dying while driving. The battery was so low it wouldn't even turn over the starter. If the new battery dies, I'll have a mechanic locate the issue.