Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > The Dawg Pound

Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Playing with a 2 cycle generator

I finally broke down and bought a 99 dollar generator. One of those made in China kind Harbor Freight always has on some kind of special . 99.99 with free shipping and no tax. The idea being when the power goes out I can still make coffee. Someone ought to make a bolt on generator/alternator/inverter for GY6 engines. 50cc ones ought to be good for 1000 watts and the 150 ones could do 3500. All I wanted was hot coffee when the power goes off, lights and over the air TV but now I'm thinking why not? , since I've got a couple of extra GY6 150s.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #2

Cool. I have considered the little 2t generators for camping and other ventures. Let us know how well it works.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #3

Don't forget-If you shake your two stroke X # of times , it's a sin! Irish

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #4

I been testing the new 2 cycle generator, it's supposed to be 1200 watts peak and 900 watts continuous. It will make a pot of coffee and toast but not at the same time... or run a hair dryer on the low setting. Lots of youtubes about them. Same as the scooters no telling if they are made in a real factory or someone's garage from parts at that price and from China but it seems pretty well made. I usually use a shot of carb spray to start it if it's cold, the rewind starters can be a weak point. Fairly quiet. The Honda inverter types are really cool, little 4 cycle engines and will throttle down when lower power is all that is needed. Honda uses a camshaft belt drive but others use the predator engines and are push rod over head valves.
Back to the two cycle ... some claim they last for years if you lube the end bearing on the generator every so often, typical problems, clogged carburetors because of old fuel left in them, hard starting, smoke on start up (which I kinda like). Like an old radial engine plane starting.
If I really needed a generator I'd spend the money for a Honda inverter or Honda type inverter. For what I might someday need but might not ever the one I got will work plenty good enough. I haven't tried it with LED light bulbs yet, I ought to do that, no reason they shouldn't work but for only a dollar at Dollar Tree I was going to a few 12 volt dc bulbs out the 120 volt ac ones. All in all I'd buy it again. I got mine from some place on e-bay. Youtube has gobs of generator, solar, wind, and battery back up systems. Preppers and off grid folks. Fun to watch but I'm to old be actually doing that kind of stuff now. The car battery and inverter and the little generator will do just fine.