Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion
View Poll Results: Synthetic oil, or no?
Yes, Synthetic 80 70.18%
No 34 29.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #31

Custom Body fairings

Does anyone know where I can find custom sports fairings for a GY6 engine on a Chinese 150cc scooter Wildfire, Would also light to change the firing to fit only one headlamp.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #32

I go with 10W-40, I believe that's what the manual said. And I use the Castrol brand, for no particular reason other than that I read somewhere that someone used it.

Any suggestions on the relative merits of switching to a different oil for the cold months? Here in DC winter temps may drop below freezing and I've read that a lighter oil is better in colder weather.

This newbie would definitely appreciate your suggestions.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #33

10w 40 my trike says to use I just change it more often oil is cheep insurance .

Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #34

Thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #35

Has anyone heard of Red Line Oil & accompanying products? I saw it advertised & it seems awfully expensive! I saw it on the JP site & know nothing about it. I have a 2006 Sportster 1200 w/trike kit. It may be just another overpriced Harley oil. Irish

Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #36

Sorry buddy, I'm not familiar with that product.

Hopefully some of the more senior members may be able to help.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #37

I've heard of it. Never used it though. I know they sell it at Jegs, and Summit Racing....and other hotrod supply places. I feel like you.... it's a bit rich for my taste.

Like I said in an earlier post, I've never expierenced a lubrication based failure using conventional oil, and like you I've been at this a long time (bought my first bike in 1965)

If you are determined to use a synthetic, I'd watch the NAPA monthly sales flyer for their NAPA brand to go on sale, it's made by Valvoline, and I know they offer it in a 15W/50. Would be good a good choice in Florida, with your summer heat. But up here, I'll stick with a good ole 15w/40 conventional diesel oil. Run it in my scoot, both BMW's, Cub Cadet, and my tractor.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #38

Amsoil scooter oil in the Burgman 650 since it has a filter so I run long drain intervals.
Rotella synthetic in the SYM since it's cheaper and I run short drain intervals in the SYM due to lack of filter.
Bikes run at higher revs so tend to beat on oil. It's probably overkill really, but the cost difference isn't that much and overkill is better than not enough. I hate motor work..
Old 07-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamez
...Now I'm using Amsoil Synthetic 10w-40 Scooter Oil...
I went and read all of the data on the Amsoil... very impressive. Have you been able to dramatically extend the time between oil changes?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #40

I use the scooter mfg. recommended 15w40 however I use the gasoline/diesel engine compatible royal purple. And I absolutely love the way it runs with it. 5k miles per year. and my engine, cvt, and gearbox are heavily modded. Also its the same oil I run in my 1993 Cummins powered Dodge 1 ton flatbed dually truck, my 1991 Dodge Ramcharger, my garden tractor, my m1009 cucv (just sold it), and my 1969 boss 302 powered 1962 f100 4x4 truck(sold to parents recently). To show how much I like the way the royal purple performed I'll share a few examples of why I like it... when I bought my cummins truck 4 yrs ago it had been run on conventional oil well every time I took the throttle to wot when loaded it would lag horribly before the turbo would spool(turbo had gotten coked over the years). Well for spits and grins I tried out the royal purple within 2 miles the turbo spooled instantaneously when punched wot. After that I bought the Ramcharger and about a yr later it started having problems with the oil pressure bypass valve sticking open dumping all my oil pressure at idle... so I for spits and grins figured hey if it worked for my turbo why not try it here too... well an oil change later and a 30 min drive later no more oil pump pressure bypass sticking... so now I was impessed and intrigued as well I for spits and grins took an old piston I had lying around from an engine I had recently scavenged from the auto salvage yard it had almost a half inch thick layer of carbon on the top of the piston and the rings were glued into the ring lands with carbon, well I dropped it into a quart of 15w 40 royal purple I had just recently drained from my cummins engine well I let it sit overnight... the next morning I looked at a nice shiny piston with piston rings floating freely in their lands. Now I absolutely love the stuff and I've even noticed fuel mileage improvements too.

Last edited by Dodgeme; 07-27-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanista View Post
I go with 10W-40, I believe that's what the manual said. And I use the Castrol brand, for no particular reason other than that I read somewhere that someone used it.

Any suggestions on the relative merits of switching to a different oil for the cold months? Here in DC winter temps may drop below freezing and I've read that a lighter oil is better in colder weather.

This newbie would definitely appreciate your suggestions.
run the 5w40 in the colder months (if you are expecting sub 32 degree F temps) that 10w40 is actually for temps above 32 degrees F if you get into the temp oil charts. I run the 10w40 in those sub freezing temps because mine runs 15w40 per mfg recommendations, every engine mfg usually has a chart of acceptable oil viscosities vs temps for their engines.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #42

It rarely ever dips below 50 down here in South Florida. So Synthetic 10W40 works just fine for me!
- 12v Li-Ion Battery
- NGK Spark Plug Sticker (adds .01HP)

Finally able to overcome wind resistance and keep up with city traffic.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #43

Mobil 0w40.

Karl
Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #44

I use exclusively 10w40 Mobil full synthetic motorcycle oil. I even use it for break-in. Some fools have said you can't break an engine in on synthetic, but my engine has 8000 miles on it that say otherwise.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #45

Just a heads-up! I don't know about scooters that much but when I ran customizing & repair shops in NH , I saw many engines that had WAY more wear than they should have had (for their age) because people ran what was basically an automotive oil in cycles. A motorcycle engine runs with way more heat than an automotive engine is used to. Saving a few $ on the amount of oil that is used isn't worth the cost of an eng. rebuild! Irish
P.S. My $ .02.