Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #1

Tao Tao Powermax VIP 150cc 157QMJ ready to roll

POWER TRAIN
Engine Air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Displacement 150cc
Horsepower 10HP
Speed 55+
Starter Electric/Kick
Ignition C.D.I
Transmission Automatic
DIMENSIONS
Overall Length 73in
Overall Width 26in
Overall Height 44in

Wheelbase 52.8in
Net Weight 295lbs
BRAKES & TIRES
Brakes Front Disc
Brakes Rear Drum
Tires Front 120/70-12
Tires Rear 120/70-12
OTHER
Battery Type
12V

New here and just getting started on my Powermax. I want to beable to run 55-65 mph up hill (small grades) and not be a rolling road block. So far she gets up to 53-55 mph (GPS) and she is still new. I am trying to stay away from motor mods until overhaul time. I will do the new belt (Gates) I have changed oil with Rotella dyno oil 15/40 and gear oil with 75/90 Valvoline. Synthetic oil for both after break in. I put the NGK plug in.
Currently she runs:
2500-3000 rpm for take off
4000-5000 rpm for 25-35 mph (GPS)
8000-9000 rpm for 50-60 mph (GPS)
My 60 mph run was done tucked and grinning lol.
I am looking into doing the 15-16-17/36 gear change to put the motor in the sweet spot running 50-60 mph not tached out. Then I can adjust variator rollers/sliders to move the power band around for what I need. I am not interested in the fast take off in as much the med to top end ride. Any wind screen/shields out any good? I can make the angle just right to flow air/wind over instead of air/wind hitting a wall while riding.
So far so good though..she runs good and rides fair. ??? Shocks??

Chime in and feed the brain for the build,
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #2

The regular mods like cold air intake/filter performance cdi and exhaust ( mine cracked already) are also in the works. Taller tires are a given but will have to choose right as shock clearance maybe and issue.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

"I want to beable to run 55-65 mph up hill (small grades) and not be a rolling road block"

Ever think of taking a road less traveled to your destination? A 150cc Chinese Scooter, is not a highway capable machine. I'm very fond of mine, but stick to county roads, and village streets.....normally run about 40, on occasion get to 45.

I have added a free flow air filter, heavier variator weights, and swapped the 120/70-12's with 110/90-12's (1.18" taller than the 120/70). All of my electrics are original and work just fine (save your money). At 12,000 miles, my scoot shows no signs of wearing out, doesn't burn or drip any oil (always use conventional 15w/40), still gets 80 mpg, starts, idles, and runs great.

Wish you good luck with your scooter....sounds to me like you may need some.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
"I want to beable to run 55-65 mph up hill (small grades) and not be a rolling road block"

Ever think of taking a road less traveled to your destination? A 150cc Chinese Scooter, is not a highway capable machine. I'm very fond of mine, but stick to county roads, and village streets.....normally run about 40, on occasion get to 45.

I have added a free flow air filter, heavier variator weights, and swapped the 120/70-12's with 110/90-12's (1.18" taller than the 120/70). All of my electrics are original and work just fine (save your money). At 12,000 miles, my scoot shows no signs of wearing out, doesn't burn or drip any oil (always use conventional 15w/40), still gets 80 mpg, starts, idles, and runs great.

Wish you good luck with your scooter....sounds to me like you may need some.
Thanks,

Yeah i understand. But here is the thing. Location..location...location lol. I live 8 miles from the next big town/city in either direction. The Powermax 150 can be a capable scooter with the right adjustments and set up. The Honda PCX 150 and Yamaha Smax are both low cc scooters that are highway capable yet better quality built at a cost (Doing all my work and living off SSDI ). Both companies would not give me a bike neither would Suzuki (Burgman 200) at this time. My plans are to keep the Powermax up and running for 2 years (If that long) save the funding to go with one of the big name scooters. This scooter so far has shown the speed and performance needed to get the 50-60 mph I need, I just want to have some old hot rod fun tweaking but not punishing the GY6.
I have been wrenching for 30+ years on cars, trucks, air craft and industrial machinery. I have put V-8 motors in little cars as a hobby and for the "You can not do that!" crowd and made it work. I have seen these GY6 motors run 6's in the 8th mile at 101 mph (All drag motor scooter) but even that would tell you it is capable and reliable enough to run 50-60 mph with out any issues. My main highway is 15/401 (McColl South Carolina) so traffic is not to bad at times but can get busy. Tires, gear ratio and a few tweaks will put me there in that sweet spot of running 50-60 mph at 6500-7500 rpm and still have throttle to go. I will get the gears first so I can find my power band (seat of the pants torque feeling) and then adjust the variator weight rollers/slides to put my rpm at its lowest as needed.

All is good chime in and I will post my findings as I research on the "Ride".

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Old 05-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #5

@rks
Thanks for the tire info. I have been researching tires and my width was an issue. I only have .25-.40 in clearance on the left rear shock and the ones you listed will clear and give me a larger diameter. Michelin City grips will work. They will be both front and rear same compound and I see no issues with that. I am not a corner cruncher or twisty rider. I am all for the ride lol.
With taller gears and those tires I can get her there. I use GPS (Tom-Tom and Phone ) to check my speeds as the Chinese speedo is way off. I hit 65-70 mph with the Chinese speedo and I know that is not right lol. Seeing as I can not build my hot rod cars anymore I can do the scooter/bike a lot easier and the cost is perfect. Hope to have some info and videos up soon starting with the base set up (Stock) on up to the simple mods. My cousin and I are getting ready to build some scooters as drag bikes as test beds for future info and parts reliability. Shoot for the price of the 170cc bbk without doing a block bore is not bad. I know my son is building a 350 sbc with pop ups and all performance alum. heads etc etc. and the money he has spent I could have bought a Burgman 200.
Chime in and have fun...

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Old 05-24-2017, 07:36 AM   #6

Shock clearance was my issue also...no room for anything wider than the factory installed 120/70-12. The City Grip is my tire of choice....started with the 120/70, then at replacement time, put the 110/90's on both ends of my scoot. The 110's have a higher load rating, will move you 6%+ farther with each revolution, (which will help with an optimistic speedometer and/or odometer), and I feel they just plain look better with the higher profile.

As I stated earlier, I don't expect much performance from my 150....more concerned with reliability, economy, and longevity. My stable contains 4 horses....the 150cc is the baby of the bunch, and that's kinda how I treat it...like a baby.

You have the necessary mechanical experience, and you realize the Chinese scooters are not built quite like the major Japanese brands. Your ducks seem to be in a nice row.....so what the heck.....go for it...and enjoy yourself. Keep us updated...I'll stay tuned.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #7

I am legit now and rolling legal. Tags registration 1yr permit and insurance. Now I have to get a belt. Chinese belt could not hang with my heavy fist lol Muffler on the way also. That crack has me changing it before anything breaks. Even in the rain today she ran like a VIP Champ lol Not a Future Champ. I am so enjoying this. I was still at the DMV when the drizzle started and told myself to ride it like you stole it.

Heedehcheenuh

Chuck D

Ride on.....
Old 05-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #8

OK changing belt and counted clutch 8.3 turns to 1 on tire. Any guess as to what gears my be behind the cover? Do not want to change them yet. Belt was fine also. Found 1 exhaust nut fell off driving home in the rain the other day smh. I will put the gates belt on and find a new exhaust nut to put on (Call my scooter repair cousin) so I can burn up the road.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Old 05-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

New Gates belt on and nut on exhaust. She is smooth as can be. New exhaust will be here Tuesday as well as GPS speedometer and mounting pod for it. Best loose change I have spent so far. 15/38 gears are next and let her ride. Tires will go from 120/70-12 to 110/90-12 to also give me the top speed needed. The power should fall in the range I need. If not variator weights rollers/ sliders can do the rest.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Old 05-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #10

Normally a 50cc guy.. but.. sounds like you have a plan and it's working. You are right, rollers can do the rest. Scooters are tuning, tuning to get that perfect place you want. My habitat is hilly so diff tuning, but all good. Sounds like you got yours under control.

Paul
Old 06-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildun View Post
Normally a 50cc guy.. but.. sounds like you have a plan and it's working. You are right, rollers can do the rest. Scooters are tuning, tuning to get that perfect place you want. My habitat is hilly so diff tuning, but all good. Sounds like you got yours under control.

Paul
Thanks. I went on an 18 mile run today and she ran perfect. New Gates belt-NGK plug-oil/gear oil change-exhaust-GPS speedometer and a tank of gas. I held my own running 50-57 mph (GPS). On a flat stretch I held 50 mph at 8000 rpm so the gear change will put me to my sweet spot and may stay with factory style tire but Michelin brand. I noticed the clutch bell had a little wobble (Bad machine work) and may replace it with a better brand. Still only have 300 kl on the Chinese odometer.

Each time I go out I travel a little farther just to test myself and the scooter. My R.A. (Rheumatoid Arthritis) gets the best of me at times.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170530_204205228.jpg (94.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170530_204459036.jpg (93.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Heedehcheenuh; 06-01-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #12

Gears are in and much better. 60 mph (GPS) in a head wind. They had 12/40 gears in it; stock setup. Lower rpms for the runs so far all under 8000 rpm and just riding. No more 8000-9000 rpm runs lol.
I knew the gear change would do the trick. Now to finish breaking here in to see if I need to tweak the motor or if she can handle the runs and load. 3.33 final gear ratio stock to 2.31 ratio performance gears. She is not as buzzy sounding or feeling running 55 mph up hill and smooth as can get. i hope to get a camera set up to record some of the runs showing the GPS and Chinese speedometer with the tachometer in one shot. I have a cheap NABI camera but no mount yet.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170605_102158080.jpg (97.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #13

Just went back out running 62.8 mph GPS in the head wind tucked and grinning lol yes things work out when you plan around a setup that you want. She is not as snappy out of the hole anymore, just smooth, and lowered the rpm down so now I can calculate the rollers/sliders - tires- and cold air adjustment I want. I may put the baffle back in the exhaust to see if there is any difference with vrs without it.​

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
​Ride on.....
Old 06-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #14

OK I hit a wall ... sort of. I have done a few runs and she has maxed the torque and speed at 50-53 mph (GPS) up hill around 7000-7200 rpm. Do I need more air / fuel / or both? Lets say stock is 24mm and I am looking into the polished intake with a 26mm-28mm (not to large) carb to get more air and both carbs can be had with jets to richen or learn her out (I prefer rich to save motor). Also what is up with the cam ratios?!?! I know small block Chevy cams- heads-intake performances but I am new to the scooters lol. I know the gear ratio will be best for the BBK in the future but right now I am looking at carb / intake / air filter to change that will work with the 150cc and be adjustable with the BBK in the future.
I have been down and out for over a week now (R.A. has kick my butt big time) from my left knee and leg being swollen the size of a volley ball. The motor is sill not broke in yet , still under 500 miles, and I want to ride ... so bad. The weather also has been picking at me but hey that happens living in the south east.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Old 06-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #15

Link to video of me doing a test run. I was riding and my nephew was behind me but I did not know who it was. Hit the turn before the bridge running 58.3 mph GPS (caution 45 mph turn) and the death wobble started lol I know better than that. Maybe getting ready to change gears again and do a variator weight/roller (not sliders) change. She rides good and adjusting to her real good. Trying to set my torque up in the right spot.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Tags
150cc, 157qmj, powermax, tao tao powermax