Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 09-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #1

11.4V full revv - Piaggio fly 125 - REG/Rec or Stator

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and I have signed up for a little advice relating to my piaggio fly 125.

I bought it off a cowboy for £800 only to find that it had a few problems that where not apparent at the buying stage.

After I bought the bike the battery died within a couple of hours. I rang the guy who sold me the bike now he basically told me to funk off.

I nearly did. But instead I got down to solving the problem.

I 1st bought a new battery and a charger and took the bike out for a few hours and the same thing happened. So I bought a multimeter and took readings.

The readings indicate either a bad R/R or a bad gen but I've not stripped the panels yet to test them. I'm hoping a more experienced mind may shed a little light on the actual problem which is why I am here. Would you say these readings show a bad reg/rec or a bad gen/stator. It could just be an earthing issue also.

But from these readings what would you suggest.

The bike is a 2010 piaggio fly 125 with 10k miles on clock , brand new battery fully re-charged every day.

Bike off: 12-13v
Bike on: 12-13v

Bike idle: 11.4v
Bike revving 1-4k: 11.4v no change

Also had a bad main beam light that went out on bumps and back on with a smack on top.

I changed the bulb and cleaned the terminals. Noticed a black sooty point with melted plastic around 1 terminal. Cleaned it up put in new bulb. No problem since...

What do you think guys

Thanks for any info

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #2

Not to run you off but the people at www.modernvespa.com are better versed in Piaggio ills. Judging by the size of the scooter you're in Great Britain. There are many members there from the United Kingdom.

You could check the Stator with your multitester and see, with the engine running if there is AC voltage coming out. If so there is a bad regulator. Of course check for a bad connection in the charging circuit by tugging on ever connection along its route.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.