Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

Changed Main Jet

This is my first attempt, so it may be too basic for many of you. I have a Genuine Buddy 125, that is very similar to Chinese GY6 scooters.
Plug doesn’t look bad in stock tune, but still on the lean side.

I opened the inspection lid under the seat but I’m going to need more space to remove the float bowl.

Removed the storage box under the seat to get more hand room.

Rotated the carb and removed the float bowl. *Use a new screw driver on carb repairs, rather than your fav old screw driver. Carb screws are small and easy to strip.*
Main jet is right there in the center, on the bottom of the carb. My stock jet is a 92.
(Chinese GY6 jets have a different jet numbering system than my Genuine/PGO. Pull out your stock jet and ID it before ordering new jets.
You are going to spill a good amount of fuel out the vent when you rotate the carb, so roll it outside the garage and use a rag or something to catch it.

Put it back together and took a short test ride. No leaks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #2

Good for you. I did my scooter's carb over 4 years ago, and haven't touched it since....haven't even needed to clean the thing.
It is very difficult for any manufacturer of carburetored engines, to meet our EPA requirements without jetting them too lean. Your engine will be happier, pull better, and run a tad cooler, with a slight bump in jet size.
Have you changed to a better breathing intake or exhaust.....or, are you just enriching the mixture a bit? What size jet do you plan to replace the 92 with?

Keep us updated with your results.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #3

I have installed a Prima piPE since I rejetted. Sounds much deeper. Been rainey, so I haven't ridden enough since the mods to get a good reading on spark plug color.
My stock air box has a removable baffle. I may mess with that some soon.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #4

I got home in time to do some tuning today. Checked my plug and it looks like the new 95 jet is working good with the new exhaust. Time to fiddle with the air box.
-The clean side of the air box looks smooth and unobstructed.

The dirty side, however has potential. The dirty side has two chambers separated by a baffle and tube to settle out debris and reduce intake noise.

I found that the baffle that separates the two chambers is easily removable.

-I did a test ride with the baffle and tube removed from the air box and did not like the result. The bike sounded cool, but felt down on torque across the whole rev range. Had a pleasing little burble on decel. Sounds like PGO did some good tuning on the stock air box.
-OK. I'm happiest with the 95 jet and new exhaust with the stock air box. The bike feels like it has more mid range power than stock.
-I'm not done yet. I will making some modified replacement baffles in an attempt to keep that nice burbling exhaust note and still gain some torque.