Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 12-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

2 Part Question!

Hi Everybody

I please need some advice:
1. I bought a Jonway 250cc 2011. Very low milage. I went over the whole bike, changed fluids, cleaned and replaced filters, and most tubing ect ect.. I also serviced the Carb, and I followed the instructions from this forum when I set the idle Air/fuel mixture. However I am having trouble, the idling is very inconsistent cold or hot. When I start the bike in the mornings it takes first time. The RPMs go up, as I would expect from the auto choke, but it doesn't stay on for very long, and I am having to throttle the bike to keep it going. Then as it warms up the RPM goes up almost over 2000 and I'm having to hold the brakes while I am stationary. I have now for the last 2 days also seen the RPM while stationary and idling going up and down by itself (Hunting I think its called).

Has anybody had a similar problem.

P.S The only thing I haven't done yet is adjust the valve spacings.

2. Second question:
Can anybody please tell me where I can purchase new or good condition used body panels and fairings for a yy250t-2. I have searched the web, and no success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181127_194446.jpg (93.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20181127-WA0018.jpg (20.3 KB, 5 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTscoot View Post
Hi Everybody

I please need some advice:
1. I bought a Jonway 250cc 2011. Very low milage. I went over the whole bike, changed fluids, cleaned and replaced filters, and most tubing ect ect.. I also serviced the Carb, and I followed the instructions from this forum when I set the idle Air/fuel mixture. However I am having trouble, the idling is very inconsistent cold or hot. When I start the bike in the mornings it takes first time. The RPMs go up, as I would expect from the auto choke, but it doesn't stay on for very long, and I am having to throttle the bike to keep it going. Then as it warms up the RPM goes up almost over 2000 and I'm having to hold the brakes while I am stationary. I have now for the last 2 days also seen the RPM while stationary and idling going up and down by itself (Hunting I think its called).

Has anybody had a similar problem.

P.S The only thing I haven't done yet is adjust the valve spacings.

2. Second question:
Can anybody please tell me where I can purchase new or good condition used body panels and fairings for a yy250t-2. I have searched the web, and no success.
Who manufacures the engine? From what I can find those came with either the Linhai VOG250 or the Honda Helix 244 clone, I can't find much on them that being said.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 AM   #3

[QUOTE=casey360360;537318]Who manufacures the engine? From what I can find those came with either the Linhai VOG250 or the Honda Helix 244 clone, I can't find much on them that being said.

Hi casey360360,

As I understand it's the Honda Helix 244 Clone.

Regards
Ctscoot

Old 12-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #4

[QUOTE=CTscoot;537323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey360360 View Post
Who manufacures the engine? From what I can find those came with either the Linhai VOG250 or the Honda Helix 244 clone, I can't find much on them that being said.

Hi casey360360,

As I understand it's the Honda Helix 244 Clone.

Regards
Ctscoot
Disclaimer, I'm not familiar with Honda's electronics in their scooters. I'm going off of my work with Suzuki and Yamaha and their clones. Take what I say with a grain of salt, as it's better than nothing but not as good as a professional's word. I'm an Automotive tech, not a motorcycle tech.

With what you're describing I would start by inspecting the CDI module, it should be the 2 plug I think 8 pin style. Honestly, you can get a performance replacement coil, CDI and plug for $15 on Amazon, just search Honda CN250 performance CDI, it may be worth it to just replace them and see if that fixes the problem. Worst case is you have spares now. I suggest this because (in my experience with other scooters) the CDI controls the auto choke, when the CDI starts failing you'll experience issues with the auto choke and/or spark advanced. I have a very similar issue with my Linhai, the CDI failed and I replaced it with the wrong one, the spark advanced causes late and pre detonation as well as it doesn't actuate the choke.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:44 AM   #5

[QUOTE=casey360360;537325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTscoot View Post
Disclaimer, I'm not familiar with Honda's electronics in their scooters. I'm going off of my work with Suzuki and Yamaha and their clones. Take what I say with a grain of salt, as it's better than nothing but not as good as a professional's word. I'm an Automotive tech, not a motorcycle tech.

With what you're describing I would start by inspecting the CDI module, it should be the 2 plug I think 8 pin style. Honestly, you can get a performance replacement coil, CDI and plug for $15 on Amazon, just search Honda CN250 performance CDI, it may be worth it to just replace them and see if that fixes the problem. Worst case is you have spares now. I suggest this because (in my experience with other scooters) the CDI controls the auto choke, when the CDI starts failing you'll experience issues with the auto choke and/or spark advanced. I have a very similar issue with my Linhai, the CDI failed and I replaced it with the wrong one, the spark advanced causes late and pre detonation as well as it doesn't actuate the choke.

Thank casey,
I will definitely check the CDI. I can source one locally.
Will post once I have replaced the CDI.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:03 AM   #6

SOoooo, I had some time yesterday to try and trouble shoot the inconsistent idling.

This is what I found...

The bike has a very rough/harsh pull away and the whole bike shakes and rattles, but only for a very short distance, and hardly anything if I accelerate hard. I know this is my clutch, I am waiting on a replacement. But... because of this, the throttle cable came loose at the fix point on the carburetor and the air intake was half off the carburetor as well. I went a head and and re-attached the throttle cable (going to order a new today) and re-secured the air intake with a better hose clamp. This has fixed the idling

I also discovered that the radiator fan fuse slot was empty, inserted a 10amp fuse. The fan is now working

I will be going over the bike from front to back with a magnifying glass this week, and hopefully I can detect and fix anything that comes up.

Thank you, casey for your help and input. Much appreciated!!

I think I will start a new thread, as I am still trying to find fairings and body panels for my scoot, would love to have her looking her best.

Thanks
Clinton