Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 08-07-2021, 02:40 AM   #1

Exclamation Increasing rim diameter

I totaled my car, and I just happen to have a motorcycle license, so I financed a 150cc scooter. As I’m sure a lot of you know, there’s a huge bicycle/scooter drought going on, so I had limited selection. I ended up paying $800 more than I was expecting (but what can you do, I guess ����♂️)

This scooter is a little underpowered but the torque/rpm equation (8.8/6000rpm) brings me to 7.92HP instead of the 6.3hp that it’s rated for, and the HP @7,500rpm does not match the math either. It shows even higher. I’m not sure why a vendor would do that, but whatever It’s not a huge deal, but I’m still bothered that I spent a whole 50cc scooter on something that is rated under what I wanted.

The scooter that I ordered is the Znen (The American brand alias is Amigo powersports) ss-150. It’s pretty cool except for the lack of oomph. Has a USB port, all newish tech on it.

HERE is my problem. I didn’t pay enough attention, and I purchased this scooter without realizing that it has 3.5-10 rims, which is way smaller than I wanted. I wanted at least 13” rims. I’ve done some research, but half of my results are about kick scooters.

My question for you all; Can I purchase a larger diameter pair of rims? Even 12 inches would be satisfactory. Would they work on the scooter, or is there just no room?

In the event of a no on that, what can I do to make my riding safer and smoother? Wider tires? Lower tire pressure? Could I potentially increase the overall size of my wheel with a larger tire?

I hope to hear back from some people on here. I goofed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by psikiguy; 08-07-2021 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Text not showing
Old 08-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #2

That's the same size wheels that a Genuine Buddy has. I've done around 75,000 miles on a Buddy and never had an issue with the wheel size. They are on the smaller side but work fine once you get used to the handling. The secret is good quality tires.

I don't think you can swap to a larger size tire. Rear especially would be hard to do. I personally swapped over to a Piaggio Liberty because it fits a passenger better.

Tags
150cc gyc, diameter, rims, tires, wheels