Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

Aerox - run for 1 second then die - then wont start again

Hey guys! =)

Got this problem here!

Day1:
I bought an 2003 Aerox in pretty bad condition cosmetically but felt good when test driving. I drove it home, 70km (~50 miles) - no problem. Stopped several times along, always started on first kick (battery supposedly dead).
Day2:
Then the next day, at home, parked outdoors, sunshine no apparent rain. Tried kick start it – it ran for 1 second and died - then would not start again. I felt on all the cables and hoses and nothing were loose. Took away ignition cap etc. Sprayed wd40 all over the place, all over ignition cables, hat, inside hat, on sparkplug (outside). After 30 minutes of fooling around blindly it just started. Then I could kill and start it easily. I drove for 30 minutes no problem.
Day3:
The next day – same problem – ran for 1 second and died. However this time I could not get it to work by fooling around.

I am clueless, it seem to be pretty unique problem so perhaps a typical cause?

Other info:
  • Fuel gauge malfunction (says half when full, say empty even though I clearly see gas in the tank).
  • Automatic choke.
  • Kick start lever will not spring back fully, have to lift it last half way with foot before re-kick. Also when moving kick start lever it sounds dry/scraping inside, don't feel good.
  • Carb is bad condition – the bowl is mended with some epoxy stuff that’s coming loose. Carb have no air filter.
  • I have no start gas (wd40 safe into carb air inlet?)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #2

Hey do you live in mi
Old 08-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsally View Post
Hey do you live in mi
Sorry I dont, 15 000 km away.. :P

Old 08-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #4

Lol gotcha ...but anyways is it the stock carb?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #5

Yes stock.. i think gaskets are bad, lots of oil residue ubderneath cylinder

Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #6

Yea i would start by rebuilding the carb and the jets and make sure its sealed up good
Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #7

Nice thanks, if that is a possible cause of the issues then ill do that asap, thx for help mate!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #8

Also make sure you've got the stock airbox and filter reconnected and sealed. Without it it will run very poorly and very lean and possibly fry your cylinder. Check compression and check spark by taking the plug out and touching it to the frame or engine and look for spark while kicking. If spark and compression are good look at the carb/fuel system. Check that the head bolts are tight, that could be part of the reason for the oil and junk on your cylinder.

An extremely bad/dead battery can also cause the regulator to fry which would cause no spark and therefore no start. Otherwise a poor battery won't interfere with running, just the e-start. Also check the main fuse at the battery.

2005 Yamaha BWS (Zuma) "Garfield"
TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #9

Ok, thx! Compression might be the culprit, what are the different ways of checking this?
I have no other scooter kickstart to compare to, but mine will move with little effort by hand. I can kick it by hand even without my bodyweight, not sure if thats normal. It does turn the crank though.
When i remove the spark plug and hold my finger in the hole, there is some puff and suck when handkicking, but when i do it slowly (kicking) there is almost none, is that an indication that air have time to escape through air leak when slow moving piston, but not when fast? All gaskets are new (manifold, cylinder bottom/head, exhaust)