Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 09-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

New Member A Few Scooter Questions

Hey all i just got a Tao Tao 50cc scooter...got a few questions so rather than make a bunch of posts im gonna try and post them here. WARNING:: i have ADHD to the fullest extent and will prolly end up makeing many topics of different questions sometimes e or.more a day. Admins i apologize in advance..

1. This scooter was a rental in Las Vegas. It has 8300 miles on it. I ha nt had many issues and have ridden it consistently for 2 weeks now what should i worry about and check.

2. Of the few problems i have had one is the fact that it will cruise at 8 grand a wide open unless i dont pull throttle all the way...if there eveb a slight hill and i keep it wot it will easily go up to 9k had it almost to 10 once not paying attention on a bigger hill and was going near 45. Someone told me it wasnt supposed to do that. Also had another say i can just ride WOT all the time. Which is it...and what could have been done to this thing to make it do that as im prolly the 3rd or 4th owner.

3. Going with the above...on my afternoon ride home ive had the scooter stall out and die at a light almost home..kept off the throttle on hills never letting it see above 8500 or so but mostly cruising at 8 as that puts me around 35mph. It is over heating??? I was told the grill opening on the right side was a cooling fan system.. I took a peek in there it didnt really look like.much of a fan. And if it moved air didnt look like it wouldnt move much. It gets hot in vegas. Ill be helping it as ive made a air scoop to attach there. But is this an issue cuz of the high rpm im riding or a cooling issue or worse yet a mechanic issue related to miles.

4. A local dealer has Some upgrade kits the 100cc is 100 bux complete with head and stuff. And an 80cc for 40. I o now both will pretty much rebuild this to a fresh engine so im gonna do one of the two. But im trying to get this scooter to get as close to a cruising speed of 45 as possible but still have some.good acceleration. So anyone have any input on this.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #2

First. Your scooter is well broken in by now and rocking. Don't go with a Big Bore Kit. If you need more speed, buy a bigger scooter. Your stalling tells me you need your valve clearances adjusted. Both should be gapped at .003 inch. Videos on how to do it are available on Youtube.

Your scooter is revving its little heart out because the rollers in the variator are too light. Take them out, weigh them and put in heavier ones. They're probably like 5 grams, go to 6 or heavier.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.