Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-29-2021, 12:36 AM   #1

New scooter. Problems and other stuff

Hello peeps. Picked up a used scooter as my main ride.im trying to get it into the best shape.

Here's the story.

Found a scooter on facebook marketplace for $500. Talked him down to $400. The guy was kinda sketchy but whatever.

Took off just fine. About halfway home it started getting slower and slower till it just stopped. Engine reved but tires wouldn't move. Had to have someone trailer it home.

Took the cvt cover off and 2 roller weights fell out. Took the variator off and discovered the plate had broke in half. Ordered a variator kit off Amazon that came with the whole variator assembly and 8 gram weights.

After reassemble the variator nut worked back off and had to impact it back on. After that everything worked fine. So it seemed.

I replaced the Fuel line and filter because the old one looked nasty.

Issues:

1. The front brake doesn't work. Tried to bleed it. Never builds pressure. Took the line off the Master cylinder and it doesn't even push fluid out. Thinking the piston is shot.

2. The rear brakes are not not great. Tried to adjust the cable but it wouldn't let the wheel turn so I turned it back to where it was. The brakes work but you have to really pull it and it doesn't stop fast so you have to slow down ahead of time. Thinking the pads need replaced.

The speedo and the gas gauge did not work. It lights up but gauges don't respond. I took the whole assembly off since they didn't work.

The battery seems to die kinda quick. Bought a new battery off Amazon. Of course it's the wrong size because I didn't check the description. Amazon gave me a refund and let me keep the one I ordered. Sweet.

3. When I'm riding I hear weird noises. The most obvious is the tires. It makes a wom wom wom wom wom. Thinking it's the treads? Not sure.

4. Another sound is a metallic sound. It's hard to describe. It increases with the speed so I'm guessing in the engine.

5. Another sound when going is a almost low screech sound that makes it go slower. Usually when taking off or when going uphill. I'm thinking clutch or belt.

6. At full throttle it seems like there could be more speed. Most of the time I ride at about 1/2 throttle because it runs just as fast. When you go from 1/2 to full throttle it just makes a deeper hmmmmm sound but speed doesn't increase.

7. The sound of the engine itself just doesn't sound right. When you rev the engine it doesn't say wing wing wing. It's more of a wung wung wung. It kinda sounds like a four wheeler instead of a moped.

Here's a link to some of the pictures of it.

http://imgur.com/a/ckE8uNX

Any input is welcome.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2021, 06:45 PM   #2

A video of it running

http://imgur.com/gallery/Jum14gT
Old 08-29-2021, 10:47 PM   #3

Video from under the seat.

This is full throttle. Stopping. And full throttle to a stop sign.

http://imgur.com/gallery/elBWDgC

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2022, 10:07 AM   #4

$400 is way too much for a Chinese scooter but you seem to be happy with it so keep it up. Just remember it's cheaper to replace parts than try to fix them.