Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Harlequinn T. Jester here!! Im da Newb...

So, just saying hello to all you insightful Lugnuts out there. i have always loved scooters, and always wanted to get into the workings of them. over the past few years, i have owned 2 50cc scooters, one 150cc Icebear trike (stolen.. :( )
and now own 2 150cc Scooters.. a Baron Vintage retro, and a schwinn 150cc Newport 150.

I love them so much.. but the info on these two is very rare and sporadic...

So, im going to combine my hello, with a little.. Wtf is up with my scooter....

My Schwinn 150cc Newport 150 has what looks like 2 Regulator/rectifiers....

The stator runs great, but wont charge the battery. (also did enough tests on the battery to find its pretty much dead. holds a charge for a few minutes only)

But seriously, i cannot figure out why i have a 4 pin lateral Reg/rect and a 6 pin Reg/Rect... if i have one bad one, will it fry a new one? do i have to change both at the same time? and is that another reason why my headlamps keep popping?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

Electrical components are a foreign language to me right now; wish I could help ya!

A lot of the guys here are really great, so just hang around for a bit and I'm sure a vet will drop by and render ageless wisdom in no short order!
- 12v Li-Ion Battery
- NGK Spark Plug Sticker (adds .01HP)

Finally able to overcome wind resistance and keep up with city traffic.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #3

Well.. new battery, new OTHER reg/rect and bam.. its now able to keep it charged...

So, after 2 reg/rects, and a battery swap, 99% is good. Im still blowing out bulbs. $50 in bulbs so far.... ouch. Any clues? all wires seem to be connected just fine, fuses in tact... jsut at a loss.. i can ALMOST drive at night.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #4

Welcome!
Old 02-28-2016, 04:47 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

Let's see if I can offer you some insight into your scooter. A search turned up these images and specifications;

https://s3.graphiq.com/sites/default...150_307244.png

Your scooter looks like a cross between the Peace Sports models 803 and 811. It is mostly a 811 Classic or Milano style, but has other elements.

The specs show it to be a standard GY6 150cc Chinese powered scooter. The regulator linked below is a stock regulator for the GY6 150cc, that racing planet states is yours.

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/image...er_gy6_web.jpg

If my quick research is correct, then to service / repair your scooter, just use the information available here and other places as it relates to a Chinese GY6 150cc.

Bulbs burning out is a sign of overcharging and or bad ground circuits. Overcharging is usually caused by a regulator that is not grounded properly or excessive resistance in the ground circuit. Since you have had a regulator failure, I would suggest that you check all the grounds from the engine and chassis to the battery.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Let's see if I can offer you some insight into your scooter. A search turned up these images and specifications;

https://s3.graphiq.com/sites/default...150_307244.png

Your scooter looks like a cross between the Peace Sports models 803 and 811. It is mostly a 811 Classic or Milano style, but has other elements.

The specs show it to be a standard GY6 150cc Chinese powered scooter. The regulator linked below is a stock regulator for the GY6 150cc, that racing planet states is yours.

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/image...er_gy6_web.jpg

If my quick research is correct, then to service / repair your scooter, just use the information available here and other places as it relates to a Chinese GY6 150cc.

Bulbs burning out is a sign of overcharging and or bad ground circuits. Overcharging is usually caused by a regulator that is not grounded properly or excessive resistance in the ground circuit. Since you have had a regulator failure, I would suggest that you check all the grounds from the engine and chassis to the battery.

Yeah.. i literally was jsut putting it all back together, and i decided to turn it on to make sure i had the turn bulbs in the right spot... and i noticed that one of the regulators hit the metal body, it quickly sparked...

Only one sparked tho.. the other didnt.. At that moment, i knew there was a disconnected ground.

And i dont have the tools to take apart this damned shell to get to the ground... or find it. F(*&^#!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #7

Im going to move the rest of this into the 125cc-259cc area..
Old 02-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum. OK if we call you Harley?
Old 02-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequinn View Post
So, just saying hello to all you insightful Lugnuts out there. i have always loved scooters, and always wanted to get into the workings of them. over the past few years, i have owned 2 50cc scooters, one 150cc Icebear trike (stolen.. :( )
and now own 2 150cc Scooters.. a Baron Vintage retro, and a schwinn 150cc Newport 150.

I love them so much.. but the info on these two is very rare and sporadic...

So, im going to combine my hello, with a little.. Wtf is up with my scooter....

My Schwinn 150cc Newport 150 has what looks like 2 Regulator/rectifiers....

The stator runs great, but wont charge the battery. (also did enough tests on the battery to find its pretty much dead. holds a charge for a few minutes only)

But seriously, i cannot figure out why i have a 4 pin lateral Reg/rect and a 6 pin Reg/Rect... if i have one bad one, will it fry a new one? do i have to change both at the same time? and is that another reason why my headlamps keep popping?
I'm going to impart something (That I found , the hard way) that MOST people already know. A sulfated battery , will Take a charge but will NOT hold one! That might explain you're "holds a charge for a few minutes only" Just trying to help! Welcome! Irish
Old 02-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
I'm going to impart something (That I found , the hard way) that MOST people already know. A sulfated battery , will Take a charge but will NOT hold one! That might explain you're "holds a charge for a few minutes only" Just trying to help! Welcome! Irish
Yeah.. i totally swapped the battery. and both r/rs

And, most call me Jester.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #11

Roger that, Jester.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Roger that, Jester.
So.. since it seems no one answers in the 125+cc area, mind if i ask:

My Baron Retro Vintage 150cc just got a new battery put it. i tested it out, started up and ran perfect. i park it, 2 hours later i go to turn it on, and not even a light flickers.. nothing.

Now, the fuse is fine, the Battery is reading 12.78V, and during the test, the r/r worked fine because it was raining the voltage of the battery (charging).... But, its as if theres a complete break in the line, yet all lines are fine.

I already poured so much into this.. now i just got hit with something i cant figure out.