Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #1

Tao Tao 49cc ATM50-A1, tail light issue advice

Hi - my name is Steve. I'm a new forum member enjoying a used 2012 TaoTao ATM50-A1 that I got a good deal on. It does have some things that need help, though.

Does anyone have an idea what would cause the tail light to light up when the scooter ignition is in the on position, but then go out when either brake is grabbed? TIA for any ideas.

Also looking for a good battery to replace my current one, which can't provide 12V anymore; it tops out at 9V after a few long trickle charge attempts. I did see a couple of links in the forums search, which should be of help. I guess I'm looking for a 12V 7Ah or 9Ah that has a good CCA rating and I'd like to keep the cost under $50. I plan to take the battery in the house for the winter, but put it back on the bike on the occasional nice winter day to start the bike and run it a bit.

TIA for any thoughts.

- Steve

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

I should also add that I just rewired the ignition based on one of D-cat's posts on the old board, and his advice worked great. (One of the previous owners had cut all the wires to the ignition and they were only kick starting the bike, and had no accessories running as a result). As a result of D-cat's old post, I was able to make sure red and black were connected in the On position and that green and black w/ white line were connected in the off position. Now, the fuel gauge works, the horn works, and the rear light comes on solid in the On position.

Now I just need to suss why the braking makes the light go out. I'm guessing it's not supposed to do that.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #3

I just bought a decent yet inexpensive replacement battery that someone had linked to earlier. Thanks for the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sealed-M...item2c7524b133

Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #4

After getting some more charge back on the battery, and with the trickle charger connected, I was able to see that the 2nd filament was in fact lighting when the brake handle was squeezed. So I think the behavior I described in my first post was a red herring due to insufficient battery power. I'm all set for now.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #5

I once ran into a light issue like this. May not be the same as what you are experiencing though. It was on a Tao Tao and the tail-light bulb ended up was installed reversed. So the brake light filament (brighter) was lighting up in place of the running light filament.