Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

50cc won't idle

I have the fuel/vacuum issues corrected and the scooter runs at road speeds fine but I still can't get the thing to idle. It acts as if it is running out of fuel. After running at mid to high rpms and releasing the throttle, it will idle down slowly and then cut off. If I advance the throttle quickly it will pick up and run but if I allow it to die it is hard to restart. I do not have the air box connected to the carb. but just a foam filter over the carb. inlet opening because it, air box to carb.,is such a pain to put on and off.

A shot of starting fluid will start it up easily and she will run fine until I try to get a 1500-2000 rpm idle with the throttle released as if at stop sign.

Could the fuel bowl level be the problem by being to high or to low? I did raise the bowl level a little which allowed me to get the road speed rpm and keep it but I still can't get the idle.

I have used SeaFoam, which I use on all my lawn equipment, outboard motors and automobiles too. It and Marvel Mystery Oil are great products and I have used them for years.

Again, this 50cc scooter was given to me disassembled and is my first experience with a Chinese Scooter. I am in the middle of the learning curve with this GY6 engine. One place it says plug gap at .002"-.003" (mighty tight), other manuals say .022"-.025" for plug gap> I obviously feel .022" is correct but my point is there are conflicting spec.s, so please bear with me and offer any opinions and fixes available. I will eventually, with your help, get this scooter up and running properly.

Thanks again.

John J.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #2

The answer is in the foam filter. It's letting the scooter run lean. You have to adjust the idle mixture to compensate, or as somebody suggested, run a little tape around the filter to richen up the carburetor a little.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #3

By adding tape around the carburetors air inlet, where I have the foam filter, and reducing the area, size of the opening, thus reducing the volume of air entering into the carburetor, is that what you are saying. The idle /air/mixture screw seems to have little effect the way I have the thing now and as I understand it, that is the only adj. the carb. has and it is only effective while the idle, pilot, jet is in use.

So, if I narrow the carburetors opening, air inlet, restricting the amount, volume, of air coming into the carb. the idle should perform, better, properly? If I understand what you suggest correctly, would, will, the addition of the air filter box have the same effect as narrowing the carbs. air intake diameter; reducing the amount of air entering the carb. and causing the fuel air mixture to become richer.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Yes. If these things had manual chokes, you would see that leaving the choke on a little would prevent the thing from dying. If you took the foam air filter off and partially covered the carb opening with your hand it would probably idle when warm.
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

Old 11-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #5

Well I put the air filter box back on the carburetor and as you taught me the scooter idles and will continue to idle!! Yea!! Now I have a very smokey and rich exhaust billowing from the exhaust muffler and tail pipe. Any suggestions on how to correct this overly rich fuel supply while retaining all the gains I have accomplished with your advice. i.e.. (run at full throttle and also hold idle with the throttle released) Maybe float bowl level is to low or to high since I did mess with the float bowl tab trying to solve the previous mentioned fuel, idle and full throttle, issues. That working now all I need is to lean out the fuel supply and retain idle and full throttle.

Suggestions??

Thanking you again for all your patience and advice given to me!!

John J.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #6

I would first try to adjust the idle mixture screw. If you did adjust the float level wrongly the bike wouldn't idle well either. Screw the idle mixture in and out until the smoke lessens or disappears. Generally if it idles well you're pretty close.
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

Old 11-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

Doh!

I ordered a new carb. today and hopefully it will solve the fuel, idle, rich running & other issues. The costs for a new carb. aren't that much. If this isn't a cure I am going to box the Kymco Agility in a big box and mail it to China, Postage Due; No return Address or maybe to North Korea's "Fearless Leader", KIM -- Something or Another. (could be Rodman, as in Dennis )