Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 12-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

Question Jonway Gator 50cc scooter help please!

Hows it going all?

I recently purchased a Jonway Gator 50cc scooter for minor commuting. I bought it used with low mileage. The day I bought it, is the day the trouble began. It started when I came to a stop sign. I came to a stop, and as I began to accelerate I wasnt getting the full acceleration and was hearing a bogging noise. It would not reach top speed, and within minutes was dead on the side of the road. I took the seat off to get a glance on what was going on under the hood.. I noticed something disconnected. I am not exactly sure what the piece is even called, but did snap a picture. After I tried to reconnect a local mechanic told me to go try and fill with gas, and get gas flowing through the motor again. So as I am pumping gas into it, It is flowing straight down the side coming from a that same part. I am not very Motor-savvy, So If anyone can please help, It would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is where the gas is leaking from, another line should be connected. I have looked at this scooters insides up and down, and do not see another line..

Mary

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

I hope someone else will pipe in on this. Is the motor running now? That part is a charcoal canister to filter fumes coming out of the gas tank. One of those lines on top should go to a vent on the gas tank. Everything looks connected right so I don't see how gas should be pouring out. For that to happen a whole set of things would have to be wrong like the petcock is stuck open, the float needle would be stuck open and gas is flowing up from the carburetor. I would start it, run it and see if the problem corrects itself.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

I removed all of that emissions stuff before I started my scooter for the first time. Known to be problem waiting to happen. If tank is overfilled, or if filled and then left in the sun, it will warm, expand, and exit the tank via the vent hose, ending up in the charcoal canister. If vent is on the left side of your tank, a full tank and parking on the side stand will cause the same thing. Scooter is more dependable once these things are gone. Not telling you to do this, but if you were so inclined, I'm sure you could find instruction videos on youtube. Maybe GY6 charcoal canister, GY6 emissions removal, etc.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #4

The motor is not currently running.. I'm almost positive that it is not getting gas to the engine because of this problem. I have another picture. The yellow line is what was separated when it died. Is anything supposed to be attached to the red circle? I couldn't find anything to attach to under the hood.. :/

So I just found this.. Maybe I lost a line that should be connected through these two nobs? fuel to engine???? If so, does anyone know the tube size for that? Thanks again

Last edited by MaryMoony; 12-15-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #5

No lines run from the canister to the carb, Just one line from the fuel filter, and one vacuum line to the right side of carb. That's it. No fuel should be in canister. A vent line from the fuel tank goes to the canister, (or to a check valve of some kind, and then to canister). All other lines from canister connect somewhere on air filter box. Photo isn't the best, but there was nothing attached to the end of canister you are showing in your pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #6

[IMG][/IMG]

This may help you out...

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #7

Unless you live in California, remove ALL of the emissions system. The Fuel-Re-Evaporator system can and does fail, quite often, causing annoying vapor-lock at best, and a fuel-flooded oil at worst. The Pulse Air system simply forces air into the exhaust directly, and when it inevitably fails, causes horrible back-firing and possibly will burn your muffler out and ruin the valves.

Leave the VENT HOSE from the gas tank OPEN, it shouldn't leak anything unless you are extremely over filled.

REMOVE the PAIR system and block-off the passage in the head with an NCY block-off plate or make your own. Attach the VALVE COVER OIL BREATHER HOSE to a suitable catch-can, or leave it open to the ground (leaving it open will allow a small amount of vapor and condensate oil to leak from the hose)

And lastly, if your fuel tank is mounted ABOVE the engine, eliminate the PETCOCK and replace it with a 3/16" MANUAL FUEL SWITCH from Briggs and Stratton.

These bikes are only 1 cylinder engines, and vacuum is at a premium, the less vacuum accessories you have, the better your bike runs.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #8

The port you have circled on the carb is the DECELERATOR DIAPHRAGM PORT, that port is supposed to be connected to the intake via a 3/16" hose.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.