Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #1

List of manual geared scooters

Hi,
Please help me fill out a list of manual geared scooters.
I've looked at some of the vespa's, but most of them now are sold with a cvt.
I don't want to tread on motorcycle ground, so anything looking like a CBR or ninja, even if it's chinese, or looking like a cruiser is considered a motorcycle.

I'm actually surprised about the low amount of manual geared scooters for sale nowadays!
Most of the time, you'd have to be lucky to find a dealer with new 2012 models in stock, much more for 2011 or 2010 models. (I have the feeling manual geared scooters are becoming extinct)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #2

Yep they are here's the list that I know

Stella
That's it unless you count Stella

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

Hi
Theres also the Sym Symba 100 cc engine with a 4 speed semi automatic transmission

http://alliancepowersports.com/models/Symba.html
And the scoots from the California scooter company 150 cc engine with a 5 speed manual transmission
#!
http://californiascooterco.com/
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to erictheviking666
Can't speak for all states but in Florida, if it has more than one speed and has to be shifted it is NOT a Scooter, no matter what it looks like or the engine size. This may be true in other states as well causing it to be classified as a motorcycle, which means you have to take the course and get your certification. This is probably why it is so hard to find anything that has multiple speeds.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheviking666 View Post
Can't speak for all states but in Florida, if it has more than one speed and has to be shifted it is NOT a Scooter, no matter what it looks like or the engine size. This may be true in other states as well causing it to be classified as a motorcycle, which means you have to take the course and get your certification. This is probably why it is so hard to find anything that has multiple speeds.
Hi
Luckily for me theres no such restrictions in my home state of CT, the only thing they are concerned about is the BHP of the scoot in question
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=430480
And both of the scoots i posted would need to be registered as mototcycles here due to the size of thier engines not for transmission choice
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to erictheviking666
Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
Hi
Luckily for me theres no such restrictions in my home state of CT, the only thing they are concerned about is the BHP of the scoot in question
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=430480
And both of the scoots i posted would need to be registered as mototcycles here due to the size of thier engines not for transmission choice
Yours Hank

Oh yes I see both are 100cc's or better. I was just saying that is the reason there are so few manual trans Scooter's available here in the states. I guess most people would just get a MC, but I'm like you I don't want a MC, I like Scooters.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Oh yes I see both are 100cc's or better. I was just saying that is the reason there are so few manual trans Scooter's available here in the states. I guess most people would just get a MC, but I'm like you I don't want a MC, I like Scooters.
Hi
If it has 2 wheels im in love
I have many motorbikes in all shapes and sizes ranging in size from this

motor bike8 by inuyasha50, on Flickr
To this

indian by inuyasha50, on Flickr
And im building a mini chopper at present got the frame fabricated and welded up and am now waiting on the engine and transmission to finish her up

Project 039 by inuyasha50, on Flickr
take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 02-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
In most of the USA if the top speed is >30MPH (>40MPH in some states like FL), the cc's are more than 50cc, you need a motorcycle endorsement.
Gears matter very little in many places; although they make very little sense on bikes going below 35MPH.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #9

The Honda Passport is only 70cc has a scooter step through design but has foot pegs. It is a semi automatic three speed with a shift pedal but no clutch. Even the chain for the drive is in a housing. With all of these scooter like qualities it is still considered a motorcycle.

Really none of it has to do with engine size because scooters certainly are common with 250cc engines. The main thing as far as I know is that scooter have no user controlled gear shifting. The second factor is styling specifically the step through design. Its not to say that there are not scooters disguised to look like motorcycles.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duosport View Post
The Honda Passport is only 70cc has a scooter step through design but has foot pegs. It is a semi automatic three speed with a shift pedal but no clutch. Even the chain for the drive is in a housing. With all of these scooter like qualities it is still considered a motorcycle.

Really none of it has to do with engine size because scooters certainly are common with 250cc engines. The main thing as far as I know is that scooter have no user controlled gear shifting. The second factor is styling specifically the step through design. Its not to say that there are not scooters disguised to look like motorcycles.
Hi
I dont agree with that statement as most of the very first scooters manufactered where equiped with manual transmissions as well as cvts
In fact The United States Department of Transportation defines a scooter as a motorcycle that has a platform for the operator's feet or has integrated footrests, and has a step-through architecture.
I do agree about the step thorough design and also their center of gravity and handling is very different from a motorcycle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooter...e)#Description
To me they are all just simply motorbikes with very different riding characteristics
Yours Hank
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #11

Well if one is going to get very technical all scooters are motorcycles.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Well if one is going to get very technical all scooters are motorcycles.
Hi
I wasnt trying to get all technical just stating a fact and trying to make a point that scooters can have a manual transmission and still be considered a scooter
BTW i do love to shift gears as well as twist and go
And i wish more scoots where manufactured with manual transmissions today to give us all more options when deciding on a new scoot
Take care and rider safely
Yours Hank
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
Hi
I wasnt trying to get all technical just stating a fact and trying to make a point that scooters can have a manual transmission and still be considered a scooter
BTW i do love to shift gears as well as twist and go
And i wish more scoots where manufactured with manual transmissions today to give us all more options when deciding on a new scoot
Take care and rider safely
Yours Hank
Well I think the fact is you are correct. It is the step through design that is the predominent feature of what defines a scooter. Probably more accurately it would probably be the foot platform detail that labels it a scooter. Smaller wheels is also part of it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Well I think the fact is you are correct. It is the step through design that is the predominent feature of what defines a scooter. Probably more accurately it would probably be the foot platform detail that labels it a scooter. Smaller wheels is also part of it.
Hi
Yes indeed you sit upon a scoot while you straddle a motorcycle
Yours Hank
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #15

So how about this Honda Passport then? One sits on this vehicle rather than straddle.