Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
Hi
Ok so what do you feel these should be called
http://www.motorcycle.com/events/the...cle-45982.html
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
The early motorcycles were nothing more than motorized bicycles. Your Schwinn should be called a motor bike similar to the Whizzer. The one that fooled me was the Mustang. It had small wheels like a scooter but was a motorcycle with engine in the proper place and gears. I read that they raced it on dirt track against the Harley dirt tracker and it easily beat the Harley. The AMA racing committee made a rule that dirt trackers had to have a minimum wheel size of 16 inches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_(motorcycle)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by WarrenS; 02-07-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: adding link
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenS View Post
The early motorcycles were nothing more than motorized bicycles. Your Schwinn should be called a motor bike similar to the Whizzer. The one that fooled me was the Mustang. It had small wheels like a scooter but was a motorcycle with engine in the proper place and gears. I read that they raced it on dirt track against the Harley dirt tracker and it easily beat the Harley. The AMA racing committee made a rule that dirt trackers had to have a minimum wheel size of 16 inches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_(motorcycle)
Hi Warren
Aye thats what i consider my schwinn to be a "motorbike"
And i love the Mustang
http://www.mmcoa.org/
One day im going to get one of them or maybe even one of their modern counterpart's

http://californiascooterco.com/
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

Last edited by inuyasha; 02-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by duosport View Post
See the states have screwed up these terms. Some states are calling all 2 wheeled vehicles that have 49cc engines, a mopeds. It is incorrect. Just because the states have messed up their terminology is no reason for logical people to follow suit.
A moped is a motor assisted pedal bicycle.
All the state did was limit the power output of the motor to 2BHP for gasoline 4strokes, and 1BHP for electric motors.
All other requirements are to have working pedals, and a speed no greater than 20/30MPH, because mopeds are allowed to go on bicycle lanes, and in some cases on the sidewalks (which depends from place to place).

Any old time scooter with pedals was a moped, because they ran very inefficient. Modern 49cc engines are optimized, and have an output of 3+ BHP, and are much more reliable; that's why they took the pedals off them. You don't see scooters with pedals anymore, because they can't be registered as a moped anyway, even if they did have pedals, because their output is too high.

Mopeds also don't have a VIN number, and don't need a tag. Scooters do.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #64

When is a scoot not a scoot??.......

I agree with the suggestion that scoots, for the most part, are step-thru design. However, I've always considered the Cushman Eagle a SCOOT, not a motorcycle. Also, I own a CSC (California Scooter Company) product that is not a scoot in design and yet, in size, performance, it definitely is more akin to the scoot world than motorcycle for sure. Years ago, and some of us seniors of today, call all of our two wheelers "scoots."
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #65

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyb View Post
I agree with the suggestion that scoots, for the most part, are step-thru design. However, I've always considered the Cushman Eagle a SCOOT, not a motorcycle. Also, I own a CSC (California Scooter Company) product that is not a scoot in design and yet, in size, performance, it definitely is more akin to the scoot world than motorcycle for sure. Years ago, and some of us seniors of today, call all of our two wheelers "scoots."
Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
Any chance of posting some photos of your california scooter the other members and i would dearly love to see her
And i agree with you in my opinion Cushmans are scoots and mighty fine ones at that
http://www.hobbytech.com/
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #66

While the Cushman Eagle was designed to look somewhat like a motorcycle, I think the reason it remained known as a scooter is that Cushman was a scooter company.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #67

the best manual shift scooter ever made the Jawa Pionyr 50 20
Old 07-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenS View Post
I have an electric scooter with the motor in the middle of the rear wheel. This stretches the definition of motor location. When I went to register it they kept asking how many cc's. I tell them it is electric and doesn't have any cc's. I told them it has to be registered as a motorcycle as it has a top speed of 60mph. It is registered as a motorcycle but looks like a scooter.

Sometimes Harley riders call their bikes scooters. We're just one big happy family of riders.
In N.H. , everyone that I knew that had a motorcycle called it a "scooter "! I stated this in another thread. I don't know what the younger riders refer to their rides as. I'm referring to the "old time" riders! Irish