Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 03-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #1

Questions about 1967 Yamaha Newport UE50

Hello! This is my first post here and only my second day into owning a scooter!

I bought a vintage Yamaha Newport that is seemingly in pretty good shape. It has around 4000 miles, so someone at some point has clearly ridden this thing.

I am having one issue with the scooter that I can't seem to solve. I can't seem to raise the idle of the scooter. It has to be run at full choke with about 10% throttle just to stay on.

It's a two stroke, and my first two stroke, so I'm a bit lost. I have lots of experience with Mikunis, but I don't know where to start on this one.

It has a barrel adjuster similar to a bicycle attached to the throttle cable but due to the slack in the cable it doesn't seem to do much. I can't find any throttle adjustments outside of that.

I would appreciate any help that'll keep my scooter running to make my life a little easier!

Thanks ahead of time!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by OKGunner; 03-10-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

I hate messing with carbs, and I also hate messing with points/condensers. I have found this more then once on older scooter, mopeds and motorcycles. First, make sure you have the correct spark plug, set at the correct gap. What seems to happen is the bike was ridden, put up, found again, "tuned up" to be put back on the road and finally sold for a quick buck. Trust me, doing it right is not always on the flippers list! Do you have the factory carb settings? Float height? Needle position? Those seem to be the first 2 things people prior to you will mess with. Put the carb in a ultra sonic cleaner. The carb should run with the throttle cable disconnected, and a tad bit of slack at idle is normal/correct. Dirty point gaps can be a issue, but I have no idea if that scoot has points or early electronic ignition. Gummed up fuel filter restricting flow? Is the fuel tank nasty or clean? Last thing is if the spark plug cap fits tight. Good luck and let us know what you find. Will post any other ideas as I wake up.