Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 04-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #1

Various electrical problems

Hey guys,
I've recently pulled my scooter out of storage and just fixed my speedo problems with help in another thread but now I have other issues.
Everything was fine until I took it for inspection and it failed miserably. Turn signals stopped flashing, they just stay on constantly when switch is on same with the hazard switch. Also the low beams stopped working simultaneously, high beam work just fine. I left, then the turn signals started working fine again on my way home for a little, then stopped and stayed on and now they kind of work but flash very slowly. So, last year I replaced the bulbs with LED bulbs and they worked fine then but I'm wondering if they have something to do with the problem now or if the relay is going bad?
As for the headlights, I've ordered new bubs but for both bubs to lose the low beam at the same time seems to convenient to be the answer. Could it be the switch on the handlebar? When I pull the trigger which is supposed to flash the lights the highs glow brighter, and using a welding lens i can see only one filament is running it just gets brighter.
I have the Roketa 54-B (Jonway yy250t) 2014 model.

Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

I'd start with chasing a bad ground. there is a big ground near the down pipe as it leaves the head. Known for touching exhaust and burning through. Hope that helps
Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #3

The YY250T's we have here have shit for electrical.

Your symptoms (intermittently working) are indicative of a wiring problem. Which isn't anything remotely resembling a surprise with the workmanship and quality on them.

I had the same sort of issue on mine, with the tachometer and display lighting becoming flaky at high engine RPMs. It was primarily due to a crap connector (where the main wiring harness comes up and connects to the instrument cluster).

The best fix is to replace every single connector with a Weatherpack connector.
That will be expensive, especially if you don't already have the crimpers. You can get by for a bit by compressing the pin receptacles (sockets), but it isn't a long term fix.

Also, they had an unfortunate tendency to use wire nuts, and to twist wires together AND do a complete crap soldering job on them, wrap it up in electrical tape, and hide the abominable connection inside the split loom tubing. Inspect these and repair if needed, there will be at least two of these, one on the green (ground) wire and on the brown (DC power) wire. If you see more than one wire of a given color enter one end of the tubing, but only one wire of that color exiting the other end, open it up and fix it.

Try not to look at the radio if your bike has one. You can't un-remember it.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

thanks guys, I think I'll wait until the weekend to tackle this.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post

Try not to look at the radio if your bike has one. You can't un-remember it.
Hahahahaha. Ah come on man. That sweet pressed circuitry flopping all over matches the 15 amps we're pulling through your beloved plugs, connectors, and 18 gauge wire!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #6

It is called a flat flex cable, and I really doubt that they saw fit to weatherproof it in any way, shape or form.