Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 04-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #1

Need help, im stumped

I have a tao tao 150cc roman scooter. I just bought it and uncrated it. I seem to be having some trouble... It was a struggle to get it to turn on. but once it did, it would stay on with a very high idle. Once adjusted it would die. As well as if it wasn't adjusted and I ran on a high idle, when I would stop it (press the breaks) the scooter would die. I have changed the carb. what could be causing this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #2

If you over fill the tank, it will drip down all over the transmission side of the bike. Your gas cap has this tab that is about an inch long. When you place the cap on the tank if you have so much gas in the tank that the bottom of that one inch tab is below the fuel level you are over full. The bike will run like crap when it's that over full.

HUM, I wonder how I know all this... chuckle chuckle snort snort. Also many will tell you only to run ethyl gas and to avoid the 87 octane regular gas. My only comment to that is around here I have found some 93 octane ethyl that I think is closer to 97 octane aviation grade fuel. Again, the scooter hates that. It runs better on 87 octane than the 'good stuff'. I have never heard any pinging regardless of octane I have tried and have not realized any real difference in engine performance one way or the other most of the time. When I got the 'too good' octane gas cutting it 50/50 with regular resulted in much better, smoother running. Real gasoline (NO ETHANOL) is not sold around here by anyone. Pity!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #3

Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
Its not uncommon for brand new scoots to have there valves out of adjustment right from the factory
Hard starts and rough idles are symptoms of that condition
i would check them to see if they are in spec
From .003 to .005 are the optimum settings
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #4

x2 on both. You can't overfill. I'm not sure about the tab but mine overflowed into the charcoal canister which get's in the vacuum line and makes it run way rich. Would only run at full throttle. Valves too, mine were way to tight from the factory. And don't set the idle until it's run for about 10 minutes. You want to make certain the choke is off or you won't get it right.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #5

Another action you might want to undertake is to clean out the jets in the carburetor. Frequently, the fuel evaporates/dries out on the journey between manufacturer & retailer, & gum/varnish remain in & block the passage ways. I know I had this condition in my scoot, when it was new, & unplugging the jets cleared the way to a scoot that ran normally.

Tags
die, roman, taotao, troubles