Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #1

Don't understand - makes no sense

Ok, I do not understand this.

I have spark, I look at the removed plug and I see sparks. Replaced the plug anyway, in case it has a crack or something. Spray in some start fluid - nothing not one pop. Inspect the magneto, the pick up is in the correct spot. Did not check compression but from the sound of the starter, it has compression.

I was on my way home from work and the belt broke. Engine kept running, in fact, it ran well. Pulled the clutch and the variator installed the new belt. After that, it would hardly crank over. shorting the relay did not help so I ordered a new starter motor. That seemed to help, but it still cranks hard which makes no sense.

150cc Jonway

Does anyone have any ideas?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #2

Could the rollers/sliders have gotten cockeyed when you put the variator back on while installing the new belt. If this problem started right after new belt...I'd start by pulling the cvt cover.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, sorry for not getting back sooner. I think I figured out what went wrong. I think the CDI was intermittent. While replacing the belt it was sitting and the battery ran down. I put it on a car charger. A friend of mine said that a car charger will ruin the CDI. A week or so later when I rechecked it now had no spark.
I've ordered a new CDI, but too much has been going on with other cars in the house.

Has anyone ever heard this? That a car battery charger will ruin a CDI? The friend said a trickle-charger will not harm it, only a large-capacity car charger.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #4

Ok, I am still dead in the water. Absolutely no idea.

The Stator puts out 30 to 40 volts (AC). I have replaced the CDI and the coil with two different other units - I have now replaced the trigger coil too. I buzzed all the wiring, I redid some bad-looking connectors, I removed the grounds and cleaned them all up.

I am really desperate! What the hell could it be? Why no spark?

It's like this thing is defying physics just to piss me off.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #5

Here ya go ... step by step .... https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-cent...uide-no-spark/

Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #6

I've done everything in that (and other) guides. I give up. I'm selling it on Craigs list.

Tags
150cc, gy6, jonway