Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 05-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Mad 2006 Jackel (chinese scooter/gy6/150cc) front brakes.

My fronts brakes were sticking and making noise when I rode. The pads looked fine so I decided to bleed the line and add new fluid to see if it would help. After bleeding and filling reservoir back up with dot 3 fluid, I have no front brakes at all. The lever is very loose, there is no resistance when i squeeze it and the pad don't move at all. I repeated the process again thinking there must be air still in the line but still no brakes. Any ideas what it might be?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

I assume you pumped them up?
Old 05-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #3

Yes. I pumped the lever 5-7 times, held it down, opened the bleeder valve, a little fluid came out each time. I tightened the valve then released the lever and pumped again.I repeated the process 3 or 4 times topped it up with fluid and no brakes at all.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

I use a Mity-Vac to pull brake fluid thru the system. Not needed though, just makes it easier. Are you sure the piston is not stuck/corroded? I usually have to pull the pistons out, polish them with either super fine steel wool or brillo pad, replace the piston seals and checking the grooves the seals sit in before installing them. Have found corrosion in the caliper grooves that the seals sit in! VERY annoying. I ride year round and de-icer has been on my scooter several times. No amount of rinsing will save a front caliper from corrosion. Just rebuild when pads are due.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

I haven't changed the brake fluid on my scooter, but I did on my Harley, and I had to pump that thing WAY beyond what made sense. I use the sucker to draw the fluid through the line, so there isn't any air, but I still had to pump it for minutes. I just replaced my front tire on the scooter, all I did was push the piston in a little so I could get the wheel on, and I still had to pump it 4 or 5 times, and I never opened the reservoir or cracked the bleeder.

sc00ter, if I need a de-icer, I'm riding on 4 wheels! But I get it. I used to live in Colorado, and I rode many times when I probably shouldn't have. Now I live in Florida, so......ride on!

Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies and advice. It turned out to be the master cylinder which i tried to rebuild but just replaced. The front brakes still "squeal" sometimes even when they are not being presssed. Not sure what to do about that.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #7

Brakes ... now that's one thing I want to be sure are working properly, damn sure !

Tags
chinese scooter, front brakes, gy6