Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

dies with throttle

the last few days ive had problems starting my scoot,it seems to have some hesitation when taking off.just tried to start it and it did but it died.i put in a new plug and it started but kept dieing when I gave it gas.it was in the shop and the guy removed all the emisions but was running strong.the only thing I can think is a dirty carb.new plug and the air filter is clean.ant ideas guys

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint51 View Post
the last few days ive had problems starting my scoot,it seems to have some hesitation when taking off.just tried to start it and it did but it died.i put in a new plug and it started but kept dieing when I gave it gas.it was in the shop and the guy removed all the emisions but was running strong.the only thing I can think is a dirty carb.new plug and the air filter is clean.ant ideas guys
its a 50cc 2t
Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint51 View Post
its a 50cc 2t
it has a new fuel pump(petcock)I have it idling now but dies when I give it gas

Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #4

okay heres whats going on .while idling I took off the gas line to carb and my idle went up so I gave it gas and she was fine.i kept the rpms up and it was fine.rode it a few minutes shut it off still fine.so my question is it sounds like my bowl is filling up and flooding it but what would cause this(float valve)?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #5

Either that or your idle mixture is too rich. Try adjusting the a/f screw on the carb. And you can adjust the idle speed screw as well.

2005 Yamaha BWS (Zuma) "Garfield"
TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #6

I leaned it down a little and it runs great but its smoking a good amount even for a two stroke.when you lean the mixture doesn't the idle go down?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #7

Nope, leaner idle = faster idle to a point.
If your carb is the same design as the one on my Zuma, turning the A/F screw in is richer and out is leaner. Try 1.5 or 1.75 turns out and see how it runs.

TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

ok that is weird in for lean but ill try it,thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #9

In is richer, out is leaner. It's an air screw, so the further out it is, the more air gets by and therefore leaner. The more closed it is less air and more fuel so richer.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #10

these carbs aren't sensitive like others ive worked on.mine was pluged with a brass cover and I took it off