Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 04-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #1

Anyone here heard of the brand Amigo? Are they good?

Hey guys so I just bought a new scoot offline to add to my collection, I own 3 already and am just looking for new toys to play with. I love tinkering so china scoots are fine for me, I dont mind the maintenance.

I bought a new scooter called an "Amigo SS-150" from txpowersports.com for $1299. These Amigo scooters are made by Znen which is the main reason I chose it. Apparently Znen is a pretty great china scooter maker from what I hear.

does anyone here have a Amigo scooter or specifically one made by znen? How do these things hold up?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #2

I am waiting for delivery of an Amigo Jax. So all I know so far is from research :

Amigo rebrands scoots from znen, which is at the higher end of Chinese manufacturers.

Amigo does a couple of tweaks to them : swaps in a Japanese carburetor, aftermarket drive belt and spark plug.

I'm looking forward to getting mine! It looks like all I need to do for PDI is locktite the screws and check all the wiring.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #3

So I got my Jax about a month ago, here's my experience so far :

Initially tried to buy from superiorpowersports.com - I have to warn buyers away from this dealer. I should have checked trustpilot first; many customer complaints that they just take your money, ship nothing, and stop answering emails. Which is just what happened to me. (Had to do a chargeback with the credit card company to get money back.)

Then went to bobcatsmotorsports.com who were really first rate. here's my yelp review on them https://www.yelp.com/biz/bobcats-mot...MjmW13jfV7Ih6g. I picked up the bike for $1699.

The bike arrived nearly fully assembled. I was happy to see that all the mounting bolts appear to have been upgraded to stainless steel. I went over the bike and all the bolts were already tight and the electric cables were solidly seated and none were dangling loose. It looked like Amigo does a quick PDI of their own before sending it out, though it might just have been luck.

Just got through the 300 mile break-in. The mirrors were loose but some locktite fixed that. One mounting bolt managed to come loose and fell off. The LCD display has a touch of weirdness; the bottom line on each numeral appears faded, becoming fully visible only at a very low viewing angle. All very minor stuff.

The bike is a real pleasure to ride. The larger wheels (both rim-size and width), real duro style tread, decent shocks and brakes all give the bike an unusually 'solid' feel for a scoot. It handles bumps and holes easily (even speed bumps) and doesn't lose traction on a dirt road (or a patch of sand.) Having the added weight of a passenger didn't seem to affect the suspension performance at all. Finally, the brakes are outstanding in my panic stop test.

So now I'm changing out the engine and gear oil. I'll be back to follow up with my experiences - I might even get a chance to find out the thing's top speed!

Oh - one thing I noticed is that there was some mixup with this year's spec sheet from Amigo. The specs list a remote start and anti-theft system, but that's an error. Which is actually fine by me; for anti-theft nothing beats a GPS tracker. And I'd rather have the company focussing on getting the basics right rather than getting distracted installing frills.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-17-2020, 10:59 PM   #4

Thumbs Up Follow up at mile 1500

Been 1500 miles so far for my Jax-150. No issues whatsoever, runs smooth and steady.

Shocks, brakes and overall stability is well above average for this monster.
Haven't taken it off-road, but handles gravel/sand/wet pavement not nearly as well as a dirt-bike, but much better than a standard scoot. Shorter riders beware though, if you're under 5' 7'' or so then this might feel a little high for you, both feet definitely won't fit flat on the ground.

One glitch I encountered right out-of-the-box was that the drain plug for both engine and gear oil wouldn't come loose. The following trick made quick work of that :

Run the engine until its really good and hot (and so is the drain plug.) Take some ice cubes in a towel, and hold it against the drain plug. Give it a few minutes, and the plug should turn loose easily. (The heat expands the hole, the ice shrinks the plug, relieving the pressure holding the plug locked in place.)