Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-19-2021, 06:22 PM   #1

Doh! Help with clutch question

Can anybody help? Put a new performance clutch in my zuma 50cc and now it goes slower than the 50mph I had it doing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2021, 08:56 PM   #2

You got the correct size clutch? I've seen some no-name online sellers sell a 105mm clutch instead of the popular 107mm clutch. Also, did you leave the 3 springs in the clutch that it came with? What RPM engagement are they supposed to be? Are the 3 springs painted shut? I've seen it happen, pretty crazy! And did you change the torque spring as well? I mostly know Zuma 50cc 2-strokes but gave away all my bug-eye 2-stroke parts. I got 2-stroked out.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:01 PM   #3

And if you have a 50cc 4-stroke Zuma, 50mph is pretty good and reliable. I almost bought one myself recently. There is a guy on Modern Buddy that goes by Dee Dee, he knows those motors pretty good. He loves the Yamaha C3 (so do I) and the Zuma 4-stroke 50cc has the same motor. His info isn't free but I wouldn't hurt to reach out to him. A friend had a C3 and Dee Dee offered to sell him everything needed to get full potential outta his C3 motor, but my friend ended up getting a Lance Cabo 200i and sold the C3. I should have purchased the C3 but I need passenger accommodations.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:58 AM   #4

Clutch problem

Thx for the info. I'm sure its the right clutch. I bought it from zumasrus and have bought all my parts there. I didn't check the paint on the springs but I'm now wondering if I need different springs or rollers as I have to rev the engine high before it'll take off.Any thoughts 🤔
Old 04-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #5

If you git it from Zumasrus you should be fine. Thats Team Calamari if I recall. If the old clutch worked fine, why replace it? But anyways, I have a feeling the new clutch engages at a different RPM, causing a clash between the engagement (lock-up of the clutch) and the weights of the variator. Is this a 2-stroke bug-eye or a 4-stroke Zuma 50cc?

Be forewarned that playing with variator weights is a hidden art, sometimes calling for a lot of butt dyno runs to find what works best. Tuning Matters used to have a good how-to on steps to tune and general guide lines that were pretty accurate to real world riding, meaning someone on Tuning Matters did their homework.

I've been half tempted to check out a dark green Zuma 50cc 4-stroke in my area. Low miles, one owner and clean looking in the pictures. I'll hit up Dee Dee over at Modern Buddy and buy his one and done kit. Keep the motor stock for reliability.