Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #1

Pissed Really really rough idle

hey I have a 2012 jonway gator, I know that doesn't really matter since it's all a Chinese gy6. I got the scooter from someone it didn't idle at all. I've had to put in a new crank, air filter, vairator, clutch, belt, timing chain, a new 72cc bbk, new rocker arms, new carb, new bendix, new starter relay, mirrors, studs and new kick start. After all this, it will still not idle and won't go above 30 mph. I set the valve lash at .003, where I could just hardly pull out the feeler gauge, never adjusted valves on anything else so not sure if that's right or not. Please help! It's been 4 months now and nothing! And I'm all out of money!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #2

It will idle now, just a real rough idle, it will die at 2k rpm, it will go from 3k to 4k then down to 2k and sometimes go up to 5k, it will idle at 5k when first started but once it warms up the idle will drop and go crazy
Old 04-21-2015, 02:49 AM   #3

Sounds like your carb is way out of whack adjustment wise. What size main jet is in there? what is your a/f screw set at? and what is your needle position? Also you should make sure there are no cracks in you intake or vacuum hoses, make sure your vacuum petcock is working properly, carb is getting enough fuel, carb float height is correct, etc.

Also for valve lash, you don't need to crank it down on the feeler gauge too hard. Should still be fairly easy to pull the gauge out once you have the adjuster nut tightened.

2005 Yamaha BWS (Zuma) "Garfield"
TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

The other place I would check is the vacuum hoses and your gaskets/seals. I know this may sound ridiculous to bring up, but sometimes it's easy to overlook the easy stuff.
(more for the future)