Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > The Ride > Scooter Clubs

Old 07-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

Are scooter clubs snobby?

So I wrote a local scooter club in the area inquiring about basic information but also told them that I have a Chinese scooter (well, it's coming...) and that I didn't see ANY pics of any other type of scooters on the clubs site other then Vespa's, Stella's and the like and I was a bit worried that me and/or my scooter would feel less then welcome. (I didn't phrase it like that, but you get my drift)

I received a reply that no one that's in the group has a Chinese scooter but that they didn't have anything against them. It sounds good enough for me but I was wondering if others that have been involved in clubs over the years might have anything to add? I guess all clubs are different but I wonder if there is an underlying, unspoken thing where clubs kind of look down on Chinese scoots? Just want to know what I might be getting into...I'd really like to join because it looks like a blast.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by nwscooterboy; 07-26-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #2

You're always going to have snobs wherever you go. If it's a scooter club, they SHOULD be less snobby. If they want to be elitist, it should be a VESPA club.

The scooter community in Grand Rapids seems to be pretty friendly to all makes and models.

Give it a try, and if you don't feel welcome find another group.

Hey, look what that idiot said!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #3

People can sometimes be snobby when they have spent several thousand dollars on a Vespa or Lambretta. Your best revenge is to have fun on your Chinese scooter.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

I don't think scooter clubs are "snobby" but generally speaking Chinese scoots seem to be looked down upon by most "serious scooterists". Well becoming more and more common in the states they generally are not well built and require a lot of repair (at least that seems to be the general opinion).

I know a lot of people get a little 50 cc scoot and ride it for a bit never to ride it again. However since your here with us idiots I can only assume that the scoot is now in your blood and their is no cure. Your one of us now.

Welcome to the brotherhood.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
I don't think scooter clubs are "snobby" but generally speaking Chinese scoots seem to be looked down upon by most "serious scooterists". Well becoming more and more common in the states they generally are not well built and require a lot of repair (at least that seems to be the general opinion).

I know a lot of people get a little 50 cc scoot and ride it for a bit never to ride it again. However since your here with us idiots I can only assume that the scoot is now in your blood and their is no cure. Your one of us now.

Welcome to the brotherhood.
Ha ha...that it is! Supposed to be a beautiful weekend here and I'll be scooting to the lake Sat AND Sun. I'm proud to be part of the brotherhood!

Last edited by nwscooterboy; 07-26-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #6

Today I met up with the local scooter club. They have a yearly 3 day weekend scooter festival/run and I took part in the morning run...well part of it. I didn't feel like I had the experience to do the whole thing but I was able to get my feet wet.

It was a blast! There were 40+ scoots at the meet & greet at 9 am and I was shocked at how many people came up and asked me about my new Tao Tao. Of course they all thought it was a Vespa and they were impressed at the quality of the build. When we left on the ride they had a person in the very back that was the "sweeper" and she let me be behind her because I was new and all. It was awesome talking to other people about their scooters and getting to know new friends and I didn't sense any negative vibes at all because of my Chinese scooter.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #7

I also today rode with a scooter club that is like 23 miles or so from me.
Their big weekend is coming up soon, so they wanted to scout the route, before hand.
Berg's,Paggiao, Vespa, all larger CC'ed scooters.
I had a blast, my wee 250 stood tall, and held right with them.
Very nice guys, a lot fun to ride with.

I did not get the feeling they cared at all, what myself, nor anyone else's ride is.
We stopped at a local (to them) cycle shop so one of the guys could assist folks trying out the Stellas, and a new Stellaauto.
I saw a Hooligan? maybe it was, looked Ruckusish. Some others also.
I loved seeing them all myself.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #8

I think they are not snobbish, but just a little worried that Chinese scooters will break down more often than anything but an old Italian one. They're worried about having to try to help all the time.

As you can see, scooterists are a fun lot, not too macho. (It helps that more women ride scooters than motorcycles)

I'd rather save up and have a good reliable Japanese scooter. Sooner or later, you're going to be frustrated by the Chinese one, and thefact that no one will be able to help much.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #9

Question

This WHOLE thread defines why I PREFER to be a lone wolf but everyone prefers something different! Irish
Old 06-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #10

Our club tries not to be snobs but at the same time we are not mechanics. I say this because most of the times we see a China scooter come up (either on our forum or before a ride) its always something mechanical getting ready to fail and they need help fixing it. Now I have been on a few of the China scooter rides and I love riding with them, and rarely have any scoots broken down so its a common stereotype. This is how our "snob" club sorta fixed it the slow/China scoot problem. We ask that your scoot be capable of a minimum of 45mph. My scoot is ALWAYS the slowest so if you cant keep up with me then you will soon be playing catch up. We do make sure everyone knows where the end of the ride is, and I will usually backtrack if someone gets left behind. Some of us have our scoots registered as motorcycles and are legal as a motorcycle. Others (like me) will chance a Moped tag above 45mph BUT I do have a state inspection, insurance and a M class on my license so I dont really care if I get stopped. Our group rides fast and hard, the China group rides for fun all slow and easy. I ride with both whenever possible. I responded to a Offerup ad looking for riders and I got a response but never a invite for a ride. He also has a Adly RT50 so maybe getting riders together was harder than he thought! I have a EZpass and can get to his side of the water no problem.