Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 AM   #1

Long distance rides... on Chinese scooters?

Well, it has been quite a while since anyone has posted anything over there on the "Hard Core" social groups... Almost 2 years actually. So I thought I might post this over here where it would likely have a larger audience and more chance of getting responses. So 'll give it a bump here with something to think about as far as doing long distance rides. But ultimately, my question: Is it at all a possibility or would anyone that rides Chinese scooters even ever consider an undertaking as described below?

So, over the course of these past couple years, I've come across a couple things that really have my interest. Next year, in July 2016, I plan on joining a group of riders that will be going from Fernandina Beach in northeast Florida to Mukilteo, a town north of Seattle in northwest Washington. It is a trip that will be something just over 3600 miles. (as currently planned) It is an event that has been held every other year since 2004. The last event in 2014 went from Hyder Alaska to New Orleans Louisiana; about 3500 miles.

It is called the Scooter Cannonball Run... They happen every 2 years since 2004. The saying goes "don't call it a race. It's a timed endurance event" Hoookay, whatever. I'm sure they call it a timed endurance event to somehow get around the legalities of a race on public roads since racing on public roads for the most part is illegal except in certain rare instances for highly regulated events. The Detroit Grand Prix that gets held on Belle Isle in Detroit Michigan would be an example. But they can call the Scooter Cannonball whatever they want to, but IMO, it is a race... At least for many of the participants. Others ride just to see if they can do it, others make a charity run out of it. It goes at a "spirited pace" no matter why you ride and they suggest if you just want to putter along at leisure then you might consider doing something else. Support vehicles can't reasonably hang back so far from the main group. It is run in segments that are roughly 300 miles long each day so that even the small scooters can do each segment in a day. (even so, for a 50cc scooter that is going to be quite a challenge)

Personally I'm not averse to the idea of the competition aspect, but I'd be in it not so much for the competition that is embedded in the ride, but rather for the sheer personal challenge to go cross country for such a distance. Most of the scooters that have been in these runs were in the 250cc class (the usual upper engine size limit) But there have also been several smaller scooters; 244cc, 200cc, 177cc, 110cc, and even 49/50cc scooters here and there. But I can't say that I've ever seen any Chinese bikes in any of the line-ups... of any size.

So what do you think? Would it ever be a considered ride for any Chinese scooter riders? Oh, some Japanese and Italian scooters didn't go the whole distance under their own power and suffered the indignity of being toted around and finally to the finish on a trailer. I think it would make quite a statement that would shut some people up if a Chinese bike entered and finished. It wouldn't even have to compete... Just finishing would say a lot.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #2

I've always thought this was a good idea. Even if smaller rides were put together, like say riding around a great lake, or on some of the lesser used roads that run for miles and miles here in the USA. RT30, an east/west road, comes to mind, RT1 a north/south road, RT11, and RT15 all eastern roads that run for many miles.

When I ride down to CON, (all of 2 times now LOL) the ride is just thrilling to me.
Then once there, I need to roll off the throttle, and ride at Ruck'ers pace, and I find that just as much fun.
As a young man, I always needed to fly!!
As an older man, I just need to ride, and speed just dont matter anymore.

One other aspect comes to mind, from following the SCB's, those guys and girls would throw those ponies down in the parking lots of the hotel and motels and wrench way into the night, offering each other parts and tools, expertise with repairs.
I found that to be a great aspect, of true scootering, if you will. well to me anyway.

I'd pick on a smaller mileage route plan, as many just do not have time for a couple of weeks for a trip like that. Many of those SCB folks, sent their scoots to the starting lines in shipping containers. Then a chase truck, is needed, spare parts, tools.

I love the idea myself, I dont know about 3500 miles right off the bat for me.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

My old body would give up long, long before the scooter. Personally, I'd much rather do a trip like that on my own, or with one other rider.....rather than having everything from speed, rest stops, overnight locations and such, dictated by others. In a 3500 mile trip, in unfamiliar areas of the country, there are bound to be places that I'd want to stop and see and maybe spend a bit more time, than an organized ride would allow.

I'm sure you remember the father/son ride, from California to NYC, a couple of years ago....the son was on a used, $100, Chinese scooter. So it can be done......but, probably not if your plan is to average 55 mph, all day, every day.

My Chinese scoot has covered enough miles to have gone from my place in NY State, to the California Coast, back home, and back to the Pacific Ocean again. I have never had to call the wife to rescue me, or anyone else for that matter. I have never made a roadside repair on my scoot. It has proven to be a very dependable machine, and is still running all of the original ignition components. Some regular wear items have been replaced...rear tire, drive belt, variator weights, a battery, an auto enricher, and a rubber boot on the end of the plug wire......a larger main jet, and free flow filter......but that is it.

At 68, it is nice to dream about a cross country ride.....but I know it will never happen for me. But I'm grateful I can still ride at all....and I did cover 8,542 combined miles on all of my bikes this season....of which 3,146 were on the scoot.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

I think the SCB is just ridiculous. In 2008 an SYM HD-200 trounced a certain Italian brand. In 2010 that Italian brand tasted victory. In 2012 somebody hid a 250cc Ninja under a 1947 Campbell scooter and not only won but scored a perfect trip with no Penalty Points. His score was in the next Century ahead of number two on the list. Moral. A motorcycle is a better Scooter Cannonball Runner than a scooter.

Do you know what won ahead of a certain 250cc Italian brand in 2014? A 110cc Honda Elite. It just ran and ran. The way I heard the story the owner rode it from his home in California to the start in Alaska, rode the SCB and Amerivespa at the finish. Then rode home. Score a big one for Japanese scooters and reliability.

Here's what I know. I believe in my heart I could do the Cannonball on my Fashion and not get sucked into a race. I've done more than my share of long distance rides and know how to preserve my equipment.

But say I did. I already know the excuses I would hear. "See. That only goes to show how one Chinese scooter out of a thousand is good and the rest suck." Or, "He got lucky. No other Chinese scooter can do that."

No, I'm secure in the knowledge that I could string 600 mile days on end with my 1991 CB250 Nighthawk while a bunch of guys with a certain Italian brand struggle with belt changes and balky electrical connections after only 300 for a few days.

All SCB does is point out the need for a 650cc scooter for a long ride.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
I think the SCB is just ridiculous. In 2008 an SYM HD-200 trounced a certain Italian brand. In 2010 that Italian brand tasted victory. In 2012 somebody hid a 250cc Ninja under a 1947 Campbell scooter and not only won but scored a perfect trip with no Penalty Points. His score was in the next Century ahead of number two on the list. Moral. A motorcycle is a better Scooter Cannonball Runner than a scooter.

All SCB does is point out the need for a 650cc scooter for a long ride.
I thought at first you might have been talking about the "Real Cannonball" which is run by an outfit in California. Motor-Scooter-International-X-Treme-Endurance-Riders, a meetup.com group that does other "extreme rides". But after looking, I see you are indeed talking about the Scooter Cannonball Run event. The scoring is based around a handicapping method which gives some bias toward older scooters. I was not aware that a Ninja engine & drive was used. Was it "cheating" or claimed as such or do you know if the rules for that year allowed that to be done? And can you point me to where it was discussed. And by looking at the scores, it becomes immediately obvious that there was an unfair advantage of some sort.

The "Scooter Cannonball Run" is the one I will likely be participating in using one of my Honda Reflex scooters. The "Real Cannonball" is run by the organization based in California and has different rules for participation. And my plan is about the same as the Honda 110 Elite rider. I'll ride from MI to the start in FL, then the run across the country up to WA, then back home to Michigan. It will be something over 7000 miles and probably closer to 8000 because I may not make a direct route back to home.

Not saying scooter riders are immoral,(but who knows? LOL! just kidding, I know what you mean by "moral") of course they know a motorcycle is better; safer, more comfortable & reliable perhaps than a scooter. But then a car or truck is perhaps safer, more comfortable and reliable than a motorcycle. It is a challenge for riders and their machines. And the machines defined for the challenge are scooters. I think it would be fun and good way to get out west as I have meant to do since retiring.

A belt change at the side of the road would just be an inconvenience rather than something major since I've done that before. I had the spare belt, the tools and know-how for the task.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #6

HAIL NO! now in my younger days? In a heartbeat...
Old 12-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

Just my opinion, but if you have the time and resources to do it, do it. The northern tier of the US is excellent for a ride in July. Vast fields of sunflowers across North Dakota, the eastern plains of Montana, and the Rocky Mountains in the Pacific Northwest, not to mention the lakes and rivers should be experienced. Granted, I'm not much for the structured ride of an organized event, but there is some comfort in the support. There are hundred mile stretches between towns of any size, and even in the 21st century, if you crash out there, medical can be well over an hour away. Just plan well, and of course, remember.. You have to get back home, so if you enjoyed the first 3500 miles, you can turn it into a month long 7000 miles. It's doubtful that you will ever regret taking the ride, but most certain that you would regret NOT doing it if you have the opportunity.
As far as chinese scooters go.. I doubt that there would be a problem, as long as you ride it like a chinese scooter, or a Honda from 20 years ago. Standard stuff, keep the oil up, and the revs down.. Whatever you choose: HAPPY 2016..
Old 12-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #8

I was not aware that a Ninja engine & drive was used. Was it "cheating" or claimed as such or do you know if the rules for that year allowed that to be done?

I don't have the specific information about that now. I saw the web site where the owner of the Campbell hot rod revealed pictures of the construction in progress. Here is a quote from another source on the topic.

http://www.life2wheels.com/2012_07_01_archive.html

Aside from having a certain Jetsons' kitschy appeal, it was quite a topical scooter to see. Only a few months ago, a 1947 Salsbury scooter handily won the 2012 Scooter Cannonball race rally traveling from Savannah Georgia to San Diego in just eight short days. It's true that the winning Salsbury was doctored with a state of the art 250cc Ninja motorcycle engine tucked under the bodywork. But when you see a Salsbury, riding one coast-to-coast seems like the most remote possibility.

What I do know is that the rules were changed before the next Cannonball to take into account engine displacement, which is probably why the Honda Elite flogged the field of 250 Vespas. I only know that the stories emanating from the Cannonball are not exactly a glowing recommendation for scooter longevity. You certainly have to wonder what would happen if someone entered a SYM Symba with chain drive as a scooter.
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

Old 01-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

Like RKS, my body would break down before a Chinese scooter. I'M sure thE scooter Cannonball would be a great experience, though.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #10

While many of us could not endure such a long race / rally it would be possible for us to participate as drivers / riders in an endurance race like those held in Europe years ago.

These endurance rally's could be adapted to include a triple crown of sorts over a summer and a champion of each named as well as a triple crown champion if one were to emerge. These rally's could be held in significant areas like say the tri-cities Tn/Va utilizing not only paved but unpaved roads and difficult climbs for scooters.

These rally's would demonstrate the viability of scooters in general as reliable transportation for the public at large and could bring new riders into the use of them as daily commuters.

I personally would participate in such an event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endura...8motorsport%29
Old 01-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #11

I plan on doing a couple of 400 mile trips on the Fashion this coming Spring and Summer even with the big Kawasaki in the garage. I'll report on those trips when the time comes.
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

Old 01-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #12

I think the SCB sounds like a great time! I don't have 11 days off work to participate. Hell then there's the ride home. Another 4 days.
Didn't know such a venue did exist, sure peaks my interest.
I'd bet that some more reputable Chinese brands would fare well.