Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #1

anybody use pirelli tires?

I don't know if I spelled it correctly but I was wondering if anybody uses them and your opinion of them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #2

I answered elsewhere but for the sake of thoroughness... Never put more than 100 miles on a set but they are as good as any other major brand

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing
Old 03-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #3

For over 50 years all vespas were equipped with Pirelli, so they can't be that bad.
50cc 139QMB, 7g sliders, manual petcock w/ transparent lines, Naraku CDI, Naraku belt, high output racing coil, 18.4mm CVK clone w/ #85 mj and #38 idle, needle @ leanest, OEM pipe mod, Kenda tires, NGK Iridium, lots of LED mods, 2.61L/100km (90 MPG)

Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #4

I've always had great results with Pirelli on my bikes.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #5

Hi Robb
I do i use them on both my motorbikes and autos
These are what im running on both my 95 cc bbk redstreak and "April"
http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo...oter%26use%3D1
Excellent in all weather conditions with a smooth stable ride
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #6

I have a new set sitting in the garage waiting to be put on the majesty. All three scooters I have are wearing pirelli's . I don't get as many miles as some of the other tires......but they have the best wet adhesion of any out side of out and out racing tires. I am 70 and old bones do not heal, I never learned to ride easy so I buy the best I can get. Ten years ago I bought a 1200cc bandit and had the left side wall worn out, down to threads on the front tire in a couple thousand miles. That was an avon, nice and sticky too, went to back to pirelli's.
When you get caught out in a rain storm you need a good tire. john
Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

Comparing Pirelli tires to Chinese OEM stuff is like comparing a nerf football to the NFL variety. (have you ever known anything to come out of Italy that was junk?)

Last edited by spandi; 03-08-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #8

My last sets were made in brazil .......will look later at the new ones though. as a thought, isn't brazil where the good rubber comes from? Not all brand name tires are good though.....dunlop is one grade worse than the best chinese...hard as a rock and handles like crap and total waste of money. Pirelli is like the smooth ride, your butt will know the difference.

Everybody thinks they are the good/best riders. push one past the limit of your tires and go down...ask your self if you can afford all the broken pieces and bones too.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
My last sets were made in brazil .......will look later at the new ones though. as a thought, isn't brazil where the good rubber comes from? Not all brand name tires are good though.....dunlop is one grade worse than the best chinese...hard as a rock and handles like crap and total waste of money. Pirelli is like the smooth ride, your butt will know the difference.
I concur. My Pirelli's were also made in Brazil (built like a tank too.)
Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #10

When I first started looking at getting new tires for (what was then my scooter) everone on the Burgman forums highly recommended Pirelli's. I've not been disappointed in the price or their performance.

I own a Kymco now and plan on replacing the tires with Pirelli's when their ready.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #11

Replace OEM rear tire on my SYM RV250 with Michelin. It lasted a little over 6,000 miles. Replaced Michelin with Pirelli Diablo. Over 6,000 now with little sign of wear. OEM front tire wore out after 14,000. Replaced with Pirelli Diablo. Handling and wear much improved.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #12

One set of Pirelli motorcycle tires cost more than my entire 50cc scooter.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #13

I don't think my scoot will last long enough for me to need a new set of tires. I'm at 3000+ miles andthey still look great. I know that the pirellis would improve my traction and stuff but I've never really had an issue with my hard oems
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #14

slides

All it takes as a rule to make a believer is one slide and down that breaks a few bones and ruins a good ride. It might only make a few feet shorter panic stop but a few feet could be life and death.

As scooter riders we got enough bad going against us when you look at all the cars and trucks that claim they didn't see the scooter as they turned in front of us. A rock hard set of tires might not make it home.l

A set of good tires is the best insurance a few extra bucks can buy. I have pirelli's on all three scooters I own, 2 sets of SL26's and one set of diablos.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #15

My Zuma knockoff came with Chinese knobbies, so of course my SL26s made a huge difference. This has been especially noticeable when some cager has pulled out in front of me and I've had to suddenly lean the scoot a bunch to avoid a collision and then again in the other direction once I've gotten around the car. I'm not particularly skilled, so I've been impressed - and relieved - when I've had to do this. The tires provide a good patch of rubber well up onto the sides of the tires, and this is what allows one to perform those kinds of maneuvers. I suppose Michelin Boppers are similar in this respect, but I've heard that they're not as good on wet roads.