Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 09-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #16

Dry nitrous kits on a carburetted motor is useless. Fuel injected it makes a slighty bit more sense but not for anything you'd want as a daily driver since you'd be so concerned about filling the nitrous tanks every time you want to shave a second of your 0 to 60 time.

The problem is if you try to run enough nitrous to add significant power you run lean and grenade your engine. So the only way to be able to take advantage of those few seconds of extra power is running blubberingly rich. That alone will cripple your bike's N/A power, foul plugs and make it run so terribly you'll yank that nitrous kits and go back to stock in a second.

Plus those little whip cream cartridges only provide a few seconds of power. What would be the point other than drag racing?

And actually on small engines the risk is high and reward so little in terms of power. The Fast and Furious really overhyped nitrous. The only way things go blurry and you feel the "power" is if you have a nitrous leak in the cabin and start inhaling the laughing gas.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #17

Tell me why. I see where people modify 50ccs to go 50 or so, but I am told that My 150cc modified to the bone can only go 50-55. I can already go 60 without any mods. Don't make sense to me. I will try the tire first, that sounds reasonable and the kind of answer I was looking for.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #18

does nos need a rejet?

Old 09-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #19

Yes it is a dry system and you want to use EFI instead of a carb unless you had large main jets it would run lean and blow the piston
Old 09-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydude View Post
...The only way things go blurry and you feel the "power" is if you have a nitrous leak in the cabin and start inhaling the laughing gas.
Hahahaha. Now that was funny!!! Heeheeheehee....

Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockie View Post
Tell me why. I see where people modify 50ccs to go 50 or so, but I am told that My 150cc modified to the bone can only go 50-55. I can already go 60 without any mods. Don't make sense to me. I will try the tire first, that sounds reasonable and the kind of answer I was looking for.
If your 150cc is a taotao, then where the number 60 is, is actually 55MPH GPS verified.
I got confused there too.

I took my bee-hach out on a ride tailgating a truck and got upto 65MPH, with the engine cutting out at 9,100 RPM (or something; false contact, or rev limited?)
Once away from the truck, my speed dropped back to 8k RPM, or 60MPH.
I may try to get heavier sliders again, to get that top speed at 7,5k RPM again, but those sliders usually don't last long. you either overgear the bike, so it can run well for a few months, or you gear the bike right, but as soon as the sliders/rollers wear out, it over revs again (usually in a few months of riding).

I'm actually thinking I should check up on my stock belt, before it breaks.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockie View Post
Because the non-BBk'ed 50's DON'T go 50mph! Hell, even a fully modded BBK'ed to 83cc doesn't do 50mph. People serious have no idea. Many times I have seen other 150ccs, and EVERY rider says they "easily do 75-80mph" because they take what their speedo says as fact.

My bike has FULL mods save for a BBK, and it does 65mph on the flats as per GPS. Lighter bikes (mine is a type-23 style) may go 1 to5 mph faster with mods, but no stock gy6 can even touch me.

One of my club members swears his type-04 (handsome boy) 50cc with BBK and full mods does 70 mph (like SWEARS!) and even our old beater type-04 150cc smokes his bike.

Most mods WILL NOT increase your top speed, they just increase acceleration to THE SAME top speed it had stock.

A stock 150cc gy6 w 13" wheels goes 50 to 55mph top speed. You can tune it out to about 60mph with careful mods.

As for what to do; read my sig, and do those mods, you'll get the same results. Don't listen to people about bigger carbs, as bigger than 24mm are simply over-carbed and aren't making more power, just running rich and wasting fuel. A gy6 157qmj likes 24mm w 105 to 115 main jet, any more is way too much.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #23

The tire is the most unlikely to afford you any gains. CVT and proper jetting are your best bet.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #24

I received my tire yesterday and am installing it today.. Most forums i have read say the size i ordered, will require some modding of the scoot. My scoot hit 55(gps) @ around 9,250 rpms, stock. I felt it had the power to go slightly faster if the gearing was changed. Since then, I made my freeflow muff, small amount of derestricting exhaust pipe, a k&n style filter, and an upjet from #105 to #110. My scoot picks up better, but still tops out at 55mph. So why not try a larger tire, (I needed a new one anyways). Ill keep y'all posted if I see any gains
Old 09-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #25

These gy6 motors are already making a lot more horse power than they were designed for initially. The 150s started out as a 110 as I remember and the makers started putting a bigger jug on them to get them up to 150, They still have the 110 case, crank, oil pump and all the rest so going much more in hp is going to cut into the longevity and reliability. These are not hondas.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #26

And on top of that, I no longer recommend a larger tire...I broke a swing arm mount trying to fit my larger tire. A little worried now. :(
Old 09-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #27

I just gained a few more miles per hour...went from a 250 to a 400!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #28

When you also pair a BBK with taller gears, you could improve speed somewhat.
A larger profile tire is not significantly going to increase MPH.
At most 1 or 2 MPH added to the top speed.

If the engine truly has it's torque band in the 7500 RPM, you got to try to get that top speed (55MPH in your case) at the 7500RPM, and not at 8+k RPM.
To change gears to taller gears does just that, and is probably your best speed improvement. much better than changing the variator, or performance exhaust; to optimize the top speed.
You'll also increase MPG in that case; but decrease acceleration somewhat; which shouldn't be a problem as most 150cc's can keep up quite fine with traffic from a dead stop.

Once you change the gears, you can test drive the bike, and see if you want to switch the rollers/sliders, as the variator will be maxed out at a lower speed, because it's rotating faster, and you will accelerate at a lower RPM; which is good to get better gas mileage, but if you want to optimize performance you'll have to lower the weight of the rollers/sliders, to get your acceleration going around the 7,5k RPM mark.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
Because the non-BBk'ed 50's DON'T go 50mph! Hell, even a fully modded BBK'ed to 83cc doesn't do 50mph. People serious have no idea. Many times I have seen other 150ccs, and EVERY rider says they "easily do 75-80mph" because they take what their speedo says as fact.

My bike has FULL mods save for a BBK, and it does 65mph on the flats as per GPS. Lighter bikes (mine is a type-23 style) may go 1 to5 mph faster with mods, but no stock gy6 can even touch me.

One of my club members swears his type-04 (handsome boy) 50cc with BBK and full mods does 70 mph (like SWEARS!) and even our old beater type-04 150cc smokes his bike.

Most mods WILL NOT increase your top speed, they just increase acceleration to THE SAME top speed it had stock.

A stock 150cc gy6 w 13" wheels goes 50 to 55mph top speed. You can tune it out to about 60mph with careful mods.

As for what to do; read my sig, and do those mods, you'll get the same results. Don't listen to people about bigger carbs, as bigger than 24mm are simply over-carbed and aren't making more power, just running rich and wasting fuel. A gy6 157qmj likes 24mm w 105 to 115 main jet, any more is way too much.
Hi Tommy
Spectre could hit a high of 55 mph with all the bells and whistles
http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=52763
And April has hit a high of 63mph

Sr 50 top speed by inuyasha50, on Flickr
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #30

I don't care what it says on my cheap speedometer, I just want to go a little faster. Not a whole lot without blowing my engine up.