Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #1

I need a few more miles per hour!

I have a 2011 Jonway 150. Everything is just the way I bought it, (new). I find that I could use a few more miles per hour, 5-10. I want to achieve this without putting any extra strain on my motor. What do I need to do to accomplish this. Thanks, I know I'll get lots of good answers.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Hi
You may be able to gain a few mph by changing your rollers for sliders or even changing the weight for heavier ones
The best and most accepted way is to change your main gearing
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank
Old 09-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #3

Heavier rollers or sliders really depend if the engine can pull the bike at a certain speed. If it's doing 3k RPM @50MPH it might be better to get lighter rollers, so the engine can develop more torque.
If it's doing 7,5k RPM @ 40MPH, then you need heavier rollers, or the engine needs to rev too high to go faster.

You could see if you can improve airflow, by getting an open air filter; then rejet the carb.

Sometimes BP Premium fuel gives a performance edge over other fuels.

Also, if it's getting cold where you live, get lighter engine oil, like 5W30 instead of 10W40.

You could also get rid of the trunk if you have any, get rid of the windshield, and duck forward when riding.

if you're getting ~55MPH out of your 150cc you're basically on the speed limit of these Chinese engines.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #4

First thing I would try a size or two larger main jet and buy a jet kit instead of paying per jet price like this kit http://www.partsforscooters.com/114-...ategory=133078 Most of us do this first off .

How fast does it go ? How many miles are on it ? Ever had the valves adjusted ?

Prodigit is right as if its screaming at top end then even half a gram heavier would as well as if it is not redlining lighter weights would help .

I had a used Geo Metro with over 100k miles so instead of using 10w30 I tried 20w50 and man it did not perform as good . I drained it and went with 10w40 and it was way better . I opted for thicker oil since it had so many miles on it .

A performance variator often has steeper ramps and a larger diameter and has more top end .

My Echarm topped a 65 new and 70 after broken in . I replaced the 12.2 rollers with 12g DR Pulley sliders and gained 5 more MPH .

This place only sells GY6 parts and has performance goodies like high compression piston kits and more http://scooterelements.ecrater.com/ More compression means more horse power .

I would skip the open airfilter since it means no riding in the rain . Many drill two holes in the airbox and rejet to get more flow and still prevent rain from getting into the carb and engine . A performance exhaust may have some gain and would also require rejetting which makes having the jet kit a great idea since you have the extras on hand if yo make mods
Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #5

The airfilter really depends. On my Tao, it's hidden underneath the seat, and on my roketa it's near the front wheel.

On the Tao, I can put an open air filter, but not on the roketa, because of what you say, rain; as the rain would not touch the airfilter on the Tao, but does on the Roketa.

Both bikes are different in design than the Jonway though.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #6

Can you use a bigger profile rear tire? Acceleration would be a bit slower, but it will give a little higher speed, which you want...
Old 09-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

Lets talk about the performance variator. Do I get a special one for a Jonway or are they easy to get? Were's the best place to get one? What about the exhaust, can I rig mine?

Last edited by rockie; 09-13-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #8

All good advice. I would try a taller rear tire first, changing your effective final drive ratio. Somebody on this site should be able to help you with the calcs for determining that tire size. The taller tire will likely require heavier (I think) weights in the CVT to prevent engine strain. There is just no guarantee of an increase in top speed without the gear ratio change provided by the taller tire.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
I could use a few more miles per hour, 5-10. I want to achieve this without putting any extra strain on my motor.
Hey Rockie, Just trade it in for a 250cc... problem solved. .
Old 09-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #10

Rockie - Check out this thread from another forum. He changed his final drives gears (and a bunch of other things), requiring a case split, and it hasn't worked out that well. its a long, detailed thread, but I think his biggest problem is that he changed too many things at one time, rather than making one change at the time and sorting out the bugs to determine the effectiveness.
I'm not telling you not to mod your existing scoot for speed. Set a budget and take your time in case a bigger engined scoot is the only thing that will reach your desired speed.
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17276.html
Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Rockie - Check out this thread from another forum. He changed his final drives gears (and a bunch of other things), requiring a case split, and it hasn't worked out that well. its a long, detailed thread, but I think his biggest problem is that he changed too many things at one time, rather than making one change at the time and sorting out the bugs to determine the effectiveness.
I'm not telling you not to mod your existing scoot for speed. Set a budget and take your time in case a bigger engined scoot is the only thing that will reach your desired speed.
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17276.html
Wow I don't want to do all of that. I can go 60 according to the Chinese speedometer, but that's wide open. If I could get that without straining my motor, I would be real happy.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #12

Here is a nitrous kit http://www.boostinductionsystems.com...g_home_046.htm
Old 09-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #13

final drive for sure, or possibly a cvt adjustment. like most stated. more power will only get you to red line quicker, but no top speed, or like me, get a larger tire! I just ordered my pirelli today
Old 09-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #14

150cc's tuned to the bone will go 60MPH GPS verified.
Chances are your chinese 60MPH is actually 50 or 55 mph.
No way you can expect more out of it.
Another way to try to go faster is install pedals, and pedal along with the engine!

Old 09-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #15

skuttadog - I hope somebody does a review on those Nitrous kits. I have seen them on EBay and it aroused my curiousity. There is no electronic control system on the kit, so it looks like you could really blow your motor if not used carefully.