Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 10-04-2021, 06:18 AM   #1

TaoTao Quantum Disk Brake Issues

Hello all, Here is the rundown of my Scooter
TaoTao 150cc Quantum/Titan Purchased brand new March 2021
Got it off Amazon
Shipped in a crate to my door.
Right now 340 miles on it
I had to assemble few parts on it including the front rim/tire

Ok here is the issue with the front brake which is a disk brake setup.

When the scooter is pushed forward there is a rattle coming from the front caliper. When the Scooter is traveling down the road there is a rattle in the front caliper.
Now I have taking the caliper off. It has two allen head bolt/screws on the back side you have to pull to get the pads out. The Pads look brand new and no defects to them. There is a upside down like triangle pressure spring/metal thingy in that looks perfect and I have inserted it back proper. I have assembled it all back and tightened down the two Caliper Mounting bolts and they are very tight. For the life of me. I can't figure out where that rattle is coming from. The Brakes work fine.. it is just that rattle sound that has me puzzled. I have taken that caliper off like 8 times now to try and solve it. Unless the Caliper is just plain out defective.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #2

Did you check the brake rotor for runout? It could be hitting the pads on a high spot in the rotor. Also look for other parts in the front that could be loose. It may appear to be the caliper but could be something like a loose fender or speedometer cable bracket.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
Did you check the brake rotor for runout? It could be hitting the pads on a high spot in the rotor. Also look for other parts in the front that could be loose. It may appear to be the caliper but could be something like a loose fender or speedometer cable bracket.
Thank you for replying. Yes .. I thought of that.. that my Rotor could be warped. I just don't have a dial indicator to check it. It has the factory pads in it and I thought maybe they are defective in the thickness of them. And I thought even my Caliper is defective even tho it is brand new. I really think the Caliper is not functioning the way it should. Sometime I will get a new Caliper for the front. And even getting a new rotor for the front. Thank you for the reply .. you're smart enough to mention the Rotor.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #4

You don't need a dial indicator. Just rest a pencil or screwdriver on the caliper or fork leg and put the point on or near the rotor and rotate the wheel. If you see different space between the pointer as it spins you'll know the rotor is slightly warped. I used to true wheels in the field on bicycles by using the distance between the brake pads as a guide.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.