Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 05-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #1

Hi How to Break In via Street?

The ScootDawg manual found here: https://absolutelyscooters.net/pdf/C...ter_manual.pdf suggests a break in method that's faster and better than the manufacturers method. That method is Here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm looking to do this with my generic 150 China scooter but it's a little confusing to me. The article says quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" : On the Street:
Warm the engine up completely:
Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want
anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more
and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our scooters are automatic using a CVT type transmission. I have No Clue how that translates to -

"The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. "

I also do not understand "Hard deceleration". Does that mean slamming on the brakes?

They want you to do this especially for the first 20 miles because that's when 80% of the break in occurs.

I don't have a freeway. Best I can do is a 45 mph highway for max speed until broken in. The scooter specs says 55 plus mph depending on rider and road conditions. I'm 115 lbs and desire to break it in with as much power as possible because I need to cruise at 60 mph max if possible in case I need to go on the interstate.

So How would I do it? Could this work? Say 7 x 3 is 21 miles - trying to get as close to 20 miles in 3 stages each stage for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Since I don't know what speeds my automatic gears go to I'll just split them up evenly. Suppose 2nd gear would be 20 mph, 3rd would be 40 mph and my desired 60mph would be 4th gear. So I would travel perhaps 7 miles on each leg, first hard accelerating to 20mph and staying there for 7 miles then hard decelerating. Next hard accelerating to 40 mph and staying there for 7 miles then hard decelerating. Lastly accelerating hard to my max speed (even if it cannot hit 60 right now) and stay there for 7 miles then hard decelerating.

I'm just guessing about the above or perhaps I am Way Off because I may not really be understanding this. It also Sucks I have no track that I know of to do this on and renting a dyno is way too expensive.

All ideas and suggestions Greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2021, 06:32 AM   #2

Hello, Here is the way I did mine. I have a TaoTao Quantum 150cc. Over on youtube is a very nice guy named Kachi's Kid. He suggested this which I followed. For me when I got my Scooter branded new in a crate and assembled it. I drained the oil from the engine crank case and refilled it with this oil . which in my opinion is good. It is a Conventional type I got off Walmarts website. - Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle SAE 10W-40 Conventional Motor Oil 1 QT and I put good gear oil in the rear end. Can't think of the weight of it right now. Then I just took it easy on my speeds on the road 30-40 mph max for the first 300 miles. The following month I did another oil Change and changed out the spark plug and went with a NGK Irridian spark plug for that.. of the proper type for the scooter. That is how I did my breakin. My Scooter has 340 miles on it now.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #3

Opinions on break vary widely. Some people say ride it like you stole and others follow Wontonscoot's method. Personally I follow Wontonscoot's philosophy. Right now I'm keeping my 170cc GY6 under 40 mph and running it in gently. I'll run it harder later on but for the most part don't flog my machines like rented mules. The dealer advertises 62+ depending on weight and road conditions. I'll make 55 mph the max once broken in.

My last 150cc was broken in gently and I would max it at 47 mph. It lasted 10,000 miles before I sold it.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2021, 01:58 AM   #4

I think the most important aspects are changing the oil frequently starting with conventional 15w40 for the first 1000 miles (change the oil around 25 miles then 100 then maybe 250 then at 500 then maybe at 750) then switching to a synthetic 5w40 if you like.
And varying the speeds trying not to stay at Wot for too long and letting the engine braking slow you down as much as possible try not to use your hand brakes. Anyway that's what I remember being told to do.