Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 07-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #1

1989 Honda Elite Ch80 Carb leaking

I was having starting issues and the scooter staying on without revving it so i took apart the carb to check and clean it. Now it continues to leak fuel into my air filter, when the air filter was completely filled with fuel it was coming out of the overflow. The scooter runs good when the fuel is not leaking.

Could the needle be damaged? i cleaned it today, used a computer compressed air to blow air into it to clean any debris.

Any recommendations are appreciated. The scooter is old, original owner did not take care of it so the last few years of owning it im just trying to maintain it without putting too much money into it. A new carb is about $120+ so im trying to avoid having to buy a new one.

Any tips, tricks, recommendations would, what i can do without buying brand new parts or recommendations for cheaper parts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #2

1. check the float level, 2. check for derbies in the needle/seat and make sure the needle & seat are sealing, 3. Looks like this ought to have the typical fuel gas tank petcock shut off valve make sure it isn't leaking or bypassed. The fuel shouldn't even be flowing to the carb unless the engine is running or cranking to start.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #3

Carb Leaking with New Carb

So i ended up getting a new Carb but its still leaking, i tried to start it, it started for a few seconds, then turned off, i tried to start it a little longer than i think i flooded it, the entire tank got emptied out again, so the fuel is still coming thru the new carb and out the overflow and out the air filter compartment. What else should i look for, there is a entire new carb, and new valve starter set installed. Why would the fuel keep coming out continuously?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #4

It looks like you have a fuel petcock shut off ... that is supposed to prevent the gas from going to the carb when the engine isn't running... the vacuum from the engine opens causes the petcock to open and allow fuel to the carb ONLY when cranking or running. So it looks like two problems bad petcock, and leaking needle and set. I'd be installing a new petcock and a good fuel filter and checking the gas tank for rust and make sure it is clean. You can pinch the gas line a bit to shut the gas off to help start a flooded engine, or pull the gas line off and plug it till you get the engine started and "dried out" . It looks like the petcock should have a screen filter, make sure it has one and in good shape. Debris from the gas tank will cause a needle/seat to leak.

Tags
carb, ch80, elite, fuel, leak