Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 12-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

Engine Change?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place but here goes. I just relocated & bought a 250cc Road Warrior Trike. I am fond of the bike itself but am very dissatisfied with the power. In NH , I used to drag race & build custom "Choppers". Everything that I built or rode had much bigger engines. Does anyone know of a bigger engine that would be interchangeable without to much adapting? In NH , I had a lot of connections with welding , parts , etc but I now live in W.Melbourne Fla & know no-one. Thanks,Irish

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Can't help, but will be reading along. The engine power is the main thing that has kept me from seriously considering one of these trikes.. Best of fortune to you..
Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #3

I'm over in Orlando, got lots of experience on bike repairs. I ride a Reflex 250, and can't see it pushing a 3 wheeler with lots of power. I'd first make sure your machine is up to spec. Then try different gearing to achieve the best acceleration, and top speed that you need.
A complete engine change on a V twin will be costly unless you find a used bike / wreck to get all the components from. Still looking at over a grand easily. I'd shoot for a 650 jap cruiser that fits the bill.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #4

Maddog,
Thank but I really need a Trike! I have one game leg (racing & Diabetes +70yrs old)
Much as I hate to say it , sometime you have to admit that your getting older! I have changed engines into bigger cc's but & changed eng for eng. I haven't changed eng size for eng size. My biggest challenge was a '39 KnuckleHead Harley. Try to find the parts for that. I rode a full size Harley Trike at the Harley shop the other day. Nice Bike but not for me! Irish
Old 12-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #5

I'd be trying to find someone who's already done a complete engine upgrade. Lots to be learned. That Honda Shadow looks very similar, it comes in several sizes. Get one wrecked and use the engine and harness, but the mounts are the tricky part. Don't want to spend too much time modifying to fit. That's where some pioneer would help you decide on the easiest engine with the least frame mods needed.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

I traded the RW for a 2006 Sportster 1200 w/ trike kit. I think that the RW had a lot more mechanical problems than I want to deal with! I'm a mechanic but I'm 71 now & I just want to ride without wondering what I'm going to have to fix everytime I get on it! The 1200 Sportster solves my lack of power problems , for sure! Irish