Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > Forum News, Support & Feedback

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasdad View Post
The males of most species need not complete color vision as they themselves are the brightly colored ones...whose colors and mating ritual is what attracts the female for breeding purposes.
With no qualifications in biology above high school, and from the safety of my sofa, many thousands of miles away, I'm going to throw in something contradictory to that! Lol

As modern science is well aware of now, humans evolved from primates, including baboons who are very usefull for this discussion. In baboons red buttocks on a female indicates to a male that she is ready to breed. One theory suggests that the "arse end advertising" of the baboon reproductive cycle has been inherited by modern man, in that the shape of a woman's body (curve of the shoulders, cleavage, shape of the knee etc) is designed to replicate a nice bum.

Moving on from that, you can see how any male baboon (looking for a red arse in a green jungle) with red/green colour blindness would have failed to mate, and thus any descendants in the evolutionary tree, would have excellent colour differentiating vision.

I personally would suggest that red/green colour blindness is caused by a random configuration of genes, activated by the "Y" chromosome, hence only ever in males.

But that is purely an (un)educated guess: I'm an engineer, not scientist! Lol If you've got anymore pearls of wisdom, keep them coming, that was very interesting!